PCAT Special Accommodations Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Starstickerboy

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and will be taking the PCAT in June....I have a number of conditions that would be conducive to the allotment of special accommodations that Pearson briefly describes on their website (ie maybe an afternoon test time, testing in individual room etc.)

What wasn't addressed on Pearson's site (and I'm hoping either someone who has needed accommodations on the PCAT in the past or knows someone who did) is--do the score reports mention that accommodations were provided? In essence, is there anyway that schools I apply to will be made aware that "Special Accommodations" were needed?

I know that while my doctor must disclose the nature of my reasons for needing accommodations that Pearson couldn't pass on that info because it would be a violation of patient privacy. The problem is that while officially that information (even if it were provided to schools) wouldn't be allowed to effect the admission boards decision of if I were accepted or not, I know that subconsciously it very well might effect their overall perception of me.

Anyone know from experience or anyone from school admin boards (if you see this posting) know the answer? I appreciate your responses.
 
Mainly severe anxiety that often causes horrible panic attacks which last about 20-30 minutes. I've really taken all the meds indicated for this problem and my doctor even tried drugs that can have some "off-label" success with helping anxiety. I would like to mention that these panic attacks aren't just really bad test anxiety that everyone goes through (they occur in a variety of settings), they are horrible, full-body responses to an imbalance of epinephine, dopamine, etc. and not something I can just "get over." Of course I'm working with a psychologist also to try to find the underlying reasons for this condition, but I've been doing that for over six years so the likely-hood that I'll be "fixed" by June isn't great. The fact that I often throw-up and thus would lose a significant amount of time on the section I was on is a huge concern, as is the embarrassment such a scene would cause me, not to mention the huge interuption to everyone else in the room. Of course, taking it in another room by myself with a proctor would help that, except in wouldn't address the time issue.

While I have a variety of other conditions, the panic disorder is really the most likely to cause a significant issue in my performance. Again, I'm not sure what accommodation(s) would help but that's more for my doctor to help me figure out.

Anyone have suggestions or know about the passing of information on from Pearson about accommodations to the schools?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Contact Pearson. They have operators and you don't have to push buttons. This is the number from their website (i think it is the one i used). They answered all of my questions when I called.

1-800-622-3231
 
Are your other conditions and the anxiety /panic related to each other? If so you may be able to use the other one(s) although they're less intrusive they may be more objective about it. And are they pure chemical disturbances(meaning for endogenous epi and norepi are affected by for example a tumor on the adrenal gland...i know this is not what you mentioned but as an example)
 
Last edited: