PCAT Study Aids Updated

Started by RxMom
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RxMom

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. It's my first time here. I did a search concerning study aids and most of the threads were pretty old. So I wanted to ask what peoples opinions are of the different study aids available. Maybe we could rank them.

PCAT Professor?
Kaplans Book?
Barons?
TopScore PCAT?
Petersons?
Any Others?
 
nikkai said:
Posts may be old but they still apply. So the info you got from them is still valid. 👍

I think in the last few months some more people may have had experiences with these study aids. I'm interested in hearing their opinions.
 
I used barons and petersons. I think the petersons had a better chem section.. the barons book seems really out of date to me but the verbal, bio and reading sections are nice.

I did not hear about the kaplan one until a week before i took the test so i never used it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay *shrug* =)

I used the Kaplan PCAT test book.

Studied for 2-4 hours everyday after work for two months.
Last few days increased to ~8 hours w/ practice tests.

98% composite.

Overall, Kaplan over prepares you, and you walk out of the test feeling like it was the easiest test you've taken. Which is a good thing.

I now work for Kaplan. =)
 
nikkai said:
Okay *shrug* =)

I used the Kaplan PCAT test book.

Studied for 2-4 hours everyday after work for two months.
Last few days increased to ~8 hours w/ practice tests.

98% composite.

Overall, Kaplan over prepares you, and you walk out of the test feeling like it was the easiest test you've taken. Which is a good thing.

I now work for Kaplan. =)

When did you take the test, after it was revised with more O Chem and calculus? Also, did you get another book for practice tests?
 
I used a combo of Barron's, Kaplan and a pcat course. It was the Kaplan book that really helped. The chapters were thorough and the questions were similar (for me at least) to the PCAT. Barron's questions were nothing like the PCAT. Good luck in your preparation.
 
I used the Barrons book and the ARCO book and got a 96% composite. I also only studied/crammed on the hour flight there andabout 6 hours the day before. Pay attention in your classes.
 
i studied about 3 weeks off and on before the test.

do yourself a favor and do not do the baron's chem section. mega waste of time.

I hated the barons book looking back. Peterson's alone would have been sufficient i think.