Pediatric residency in NewYork

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LAO

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from Rutgers school of dental medicine and currently practicing in Texas, If I am to interview in NY for a residency program am I eligible to get a license to be able to do my residency? or are residencies in NY only limited to those who already have a license to practice there? I heard they need one year of residency before giving a license, is that still true and will it cause any problem if I got accepted but have no license there?
Thank you for your help

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from Rutgers school of dental medicine and currently practicing in Texas, If I am to interview in NY for a residency program am I eligible to get a license to be able to do my residency? or are residencies in NY only limited to those who already have a license to practice there? I heard they need one year of residency before giving a license, is that still true and will it cause any problem if I got accepted but have no license there?
Thank you for your help
I believe you should be okay even if not fully licensed as DDS as long as you don’t practice outside the residency program. If you plan to moonlight that will not be possible..

Reactions: 1 user
It won't be a problem. You'll be practicing under your attendings' license in residency so your residency coordinator will likely apply for an exemption for NY State Dental License for you (it's like $125 fee/yr or something). But yes, you will not be able to practice dentistry in NY state outside of residency. If you are interested in working outside of your residency (though I doubt you'll have much time) and didn't do a GPR, you may be eligible for reciprocity (work 3-5 yrs in another state makes you eligible to apply for another state's dental license) but not sure of your situation.