Peds Neuro Question

Started by britelite
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

britelite

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got asked about some pediatric neurological disorders that have psychiatric symptoms in their initial presentation. The only ones I could think of were HSV encephalopathy and Syndenham's chorea. Am I missing a bunch of metabolic or genetic diseases? Any suggestions? Thanks 🙂
 
I got asked about some pediatric neurological disorders that have psychiatric symptoms in their initial presentation. The only ones I could think of were HSV encephalopathy and Syndenham's chorea. Am I missing a bunch of metabolic or genetic diseases? Any suggestions? Thanks 🙂

The two that immediately leap to mind are Huntington's and Wilson's.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got asked about some pediatric neurological disorders that have psychiatric symptoms in their initial presentation. The only ones I could think of were HSV encephalopathy and Syndenham's chorea. Am I missing a bunch of metabolic or genetic diseases? Any suggestions? Thanks 🙂

Wilson's disease is a classic example of this. Its why every psychiatrist should do perform sort of eye exam on any patient with new onset psychosis.

Kayser-Fleischer_ring.jpg

Kayser-Fleischer ring​

Huntington's disease can have psychosis as well, though I believe the motor deficits usually present first.
 
Wilson's disease is a classic example of this. Its why every psychiatrist should do perform sort of eye exam on any patient with new onset psychosis.


Huntington's disease can have psychosis as well, though I believe the motor deficits usually present first.


Hey, Terps . . . if you have time to post here, you have time to play Balderdash, no?!?!?!? NAILED!!!!!! 😀
 
how often would either present in childhood though?

Since both are genetic defects, you could theoretically present with symptoms at any age.

Keep in mind Huntington's chorea has the anticipation gene trait. Each subsequent generation with the disease would present at younger and younger ages. This is true for most triplet repeat disorders (i.e. Fragile X, Friedreich's ataxia, myotonic dystrophy) which often have psychiatric symptoms.