Personal Statement for SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Southern_Weather

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dear SDN,
I am looking at applying to a couple SMPs and they are requiring a personal statement. So would it basically be the same thing as I would write if I were applying to medical school ( I want to be a doctor because......) or should it be more along the lines of talking about why I want to do the SMP. Just a bit confused as to what I should write and address.

Thank you
 
Is there a prompt? That is generally a good place to start and may better enable us to help answer your question...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmm. As someone who's freelanced as writing tutor/personal statement editor/advisor for graduate and medical school admissions....I'm going to give you my honest view on this....

To me, SMPs are a trial run for the med schools to vet "maybe" candidates before actually letting them into medical school. In exchange they essentially give you a masters that may or may not be worth anything. If that's the case, the personal statement should assume your goal is to pass that trial and become a physician. I would address this, but also include why you would be a good doctor, but in addition, it should be explain why the preparatory education in an SMP would make you a better candidate for medical school/correct previous deficiencies/make you a better future physician.
 
Great! Thank you very much, that does seem quite appropriate considering a specific prompt is not given. I am applying to one SMP in particular because I am very interested in the medical school which it is tied to, should I address my interest in wanting to get accepted in their school? Would they like to see that I want to get into their SMP so that I can later have a shot at THEIR medical school (I attend undergrad at this school as well)?