Personal Statement Guidelines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TIGIBedHead

Fever to Tell
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know there is a thread about when to start writing. I'm wondering if there is a prompt/question for the essay. Also, how long should it be?

Ok, I found the answer in the application itself: 5300 characters, and write about why you want to go into medicine. Wanted to add this in case anyone else was wondering.

Good luck to all!
 
TIGIBedHead said:
I know there is a thread about when to start writing. I'm wondering if there is a prompt/question for the essay. Also, how long should it be?

Ok, I found the answer in the application itself: 5300 characters, and write about why you want to go into medicine. Wanted to add this in case anyone else was wondering.

Good luck to all!
-----------------AMCAS essay guidelines-----------------
• The available space for this essay is 5,300 characters (including spaces), or approximately 1 full page.
Hard returns (‘enter' key) count as two characters.
Some questions you may wish to consider while drafting this essay are:
• Why have you selected the field of medicine?
• What motivates you to learn more about medicine?
• What do you want medical schools to know about you that has not been disclosed in another section of the application?
In addition, you may wish to include information such as:
• Special hardships, challenges or obstacles that may have influenced your educational pursuits.
• Commentary on significant fluctuations in your academic record, which are not explained elsewhere in your application.