Personal Statement Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Predocpremed

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would it be cheesy to write about an intense code that I was involved in several years ago in the ER in which an infant patient survived against all odds, after being down for a long time? I personally think it was a really defining moment for me, but I'm afraid of how ADCOMs might view it. Would they question if the story was real? I feel like I would be skeptical of stories like this if I were in their shoes.
 
Would it be cheesy to write about an intense code that I was involved in several years ago in the ER in which an infant patient survived against all odds, after being down for a long time? I personally think it was a really defining moment for me, but I'm afraid of how ADCOMs might view it. Would they question if the story was real? I feel like I would be skeptical of stories like this if I were in their shoes.

I think it may be in how theatrically you present it. Im an RN and my PS will begin with a patient experience that represents my desire for higher scope of practice.
 
Just about anything can be written in a good or terrible way. As long as it directly helps answer the question 'Why medicine' and/or 'why now', go ahead and work with it.

When I was starting to write about a personal patient care experience, I was told that it's the details that make it real. I went back and thought about the situation and made a list of those little details that struck me during and after the incident that really brought it back for me. I didn't use all of them in the end product, but that was very helpful in making the writing more solid.
 
Just about anything can be written in a good or terrible way. As long as it directly helps answer the question 'Why medicine' and/or 'why now', go ahead and work with it.

When I was starting to write about a personal patient care experience, I was told that it's the details that make it real. I went back and thought about the situation and made a list of those little details that struck me during and after the incident that really brought it back for me. I didn't use all of them in the end product, but that was very helpful in making the writing more solid.

That's a cool idea, thanks! I'll give that a try.