Personal statement question

Started by mulberry
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mulberry

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm trying to start my PS a little early for the next cycle since I had some free time this semester. I've read through some SDN blogs and other threads on here but none really talked about the idea of using a quote. My question is, would a quote be acceptable when talking about 'why medicine'? The quote is more of an inspirational/overview of medicine. My intentions were to place it somewhere in the body of the essay, no opener/closer.
 
I don't see a problem with it; I've cetainly seen other people use the idea.



I'm trying to start my PS a little early for the next cycle since I had some free time this semester. I've read through some SDN blogs and other threads on here but none really talked about the idea of using a quote. My question is, would a quote be acceptable when talking about 'why medicine'? The quote is more of an inspirational/overview of medicine. My intentions were to place it somewhere in the body of the essay, no opener/closer.
 
As long as it actually helps build you personal statement/make it stronger, then you should be fine. I have seen others effectively use quotes in their PS. Keep in mind that you don't want it to just be "fluff".
 
For me, I didn't like someone else's words well enough to use my precious characters for a quote. I wanted every last character for my own words; to help out my story.

If it adds to your story, then do it. I am glad you are not starting out with the quote at the start or the end. That is so cliche.

Good luck.

dsoz