Pharm Tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aznpharmgurl10

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering what it took, for those of you that are pharmacy technicians, for you to get certified. I am curious as to how long it took you to get certified and whether or not you had to take any classes to pass the pharmacy tech certification test. I just applied for a job as a pharm tech and they said that they'll train and everything. I am curious because one of my friends said that it's like a full-time thing, where you need to take only 2-3 classes per semester and not be enrolled full time in school. But from what I got from the information about pharmacy technicians, that it was completely different. Both my friend and I are interested in pharmacy school and we both know that becoming a certified pharmacy technician would help our chances at being accepted into a Pharm D program. Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks.
 
aznpharmgurl10 said:
I was wondering what it took, for those of you that are pharmacy technicians, for you to get certified. I am curious as to how long it took you to get certified and whether or not you had to take any classes to pass the pharmacy tech certification test. I just applied for a job as a pharm tech and they said that they'll train and everything. I am curious because one of my friends said that it's like a full-time thing, where you need to take only 2-3 classes per semester and not be enrolled full time in school. But from what I got from the information about pharmacy technicians, that it was completely different. Both my friend and I are interested in pharmacy school and we both know that becoming a certified pharmacy technician would help our chances at being accepted into a Pharm D program. Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Unless the place that offered you the position requires you to become certified, you don't necessarily have to to be a certified tech to work as a pharmacy technician..you really just need to be licensed in your state. I don't think being a certified tech would make a huge difference on your applications to pharmacy schools; what really matters I think is whether you have experience working in a pharmacy, and again, you don't need to be "certified" to work as a tech. Being certified, however, could be an asset when you're looking for a job as a tech bc it could be difficult.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How much will a certified tech make compared to a non-certified tech?
 
I agree. I was in a hospital explorers program as a summer intern which eventually turned into a full-time position. I was trained on the job and I am not certified because we are in a union and it doesn't translate into higher wages, unless u r a technician specialist. And under their supervision, I can enter orders, answer medication questions and compound oral solutions.
 
trishias said:
I agree. I was in a hospital explorers program as a summer intern which eventually turned into a full-time position. I was trained on the job and I am not certified because we are in a union and it doesn't translate into higher wages, unless u r a technician specialist. And under their supervision, I can enter orders, answer medication questions and compound oral solutions.

I'm a certified pharm tech (non-practicing). I was told in no uncertain terms that I was never to answer medication questions. That was the pharmacist's job. Could that be something that varies from state to state?
 
jmhousem said:
I'm a certified pharm tech (non-practicing). I was told in no uncertain terms that I was never to answer medication questions. That was the pharmacist's job. Could that be something that varies from state to state?

I am sure this does not vary state to state. I am an exception. If the pharmacist is busy (ie working on drug levels or entering orders) and the phones are ringing off the hook and I am free, I have permission to answer certain questions, as long as the pharmacist is next to me, because they trust me. One of our techs however has been caught impersonating a pharmacist though. Not me!! The RN's know I am a tech and I tell them the pharmacist says ____.
 
aznpharmgurl10 said:
I was wondering what it took, for those of you that are pharmacy technicians, for you to get certified. I am curious as to how long it took you to get certified and whether or not you had to take any classes to pass the pharmacy tech certification test. I just applied for a job as a pharm tech and they said that they'll train and everything. I am curious because one of my friends said that it's like a full-time thing, where you need to take only 2-3 classes per semester and not be enrolled full time in school. But from what I got from the information about pharmacy technicians, that it was completely different. Both my friend and I are interested in pharmacy school and we both know that becoming a certified pharmacy technician would help our chances at being accepted into a Pharm D program. Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks.

I didn't take a class to become a certified technician, all I did was study from the ptcb certification book and took the practice exam on ptcb.org. Its pretty hard(since I failed the first time), there are questions only an hospital pharmacy tech can answer and a whole bunch of componding questions. Also, back when I took the practice test on the ptcb.org website, it was free and I was able to print my results. Now you have to pay around $60, I believe. If you pm or email me, I can give you some of the questions, and if I can find time, I can give you all the questions. I really recomend becoming certified, I got a raise and most important its going to help me get into pharmacy school.
 
i was trying to register to take the pharmacy technician exam and it won't let me register because I don't currently work somewhere and I didn't take the class or I wasn't trained. I applied for a position as a pharm tech, but I still do not know if I got the position. I don't know what I should do if I don't get the job. I've already started studying for the Pharmacy Technician exam, and I want to take it this summer in July. Help please!!!
 
aznpharmgurl10 said:
i was trying to register to take the pharmacy technician exam and it won't let me register because I don't currently work somewhere and I didn't take the class or I wasn't trained. I applied for a position as a pharm tech, but I still do not know if I got the position. I don't know what I should do if I don't get the job. I've already started studying for the Pharmacy Technician exam, and I want to take it this summer in July. Help please!!!

You shouldn't have any problem registering from the link I provided earlier in this thread. Here is a link from within the previous one: http://www.proexam.org/ptcb/
 
It won't let me register without an employer or training program. 👎 I'm assuming that you need to employed and trained to register to take the exam. 🙁
 
aznpharmgurl10:

You dont have to be working or in a training program to register for or take the PTCB. If it is making you select training or employeer from a list just select "OTHER". I was neither working as nor training to be a tech but I registered online and then took the test last month without any hassle.
 
I have tried to register again, and tried everything I could think of. It just won't let me register without an employer. I don't know what's going on! It tells me that I can't go onto the next section without filling out an employer name, even if I put other. Somebody, please help! Thanks!
 
trishias said:
I am sure this does not vary state to state. I am an exception. If the pharmacist is busy (ie working on drug levels or entering orders) and the phones are ringing off the hook and I am free, I have permission to answer certain questions, as long as the pharmacist is next to me, because they trust me. One of our techs however has been caught impersonating a pharmacist though. Not me!! The RN's know I am a tech and I tell them the pharmacist says ____.
actually you are wrong

the law does vary state to state on this one