Pharmacy R&D

Started by MattF
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MattF

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I want a job working for a pharmaceutical company researching to coming up with new types of drugs, or creating the actual drugs through a series of chemical reactions. If this is the job I have in mind would I want to go get a PharmD or would I be better suited to finish my BS in Chemistry and then go on to get a Master's/PhD in Organic Chemistry or something related?
 
Yep, MS/PhD is the much better way to go. A PhD from a reputable program should get you in somewhere (even though there are a glut of PhD's, you can differentiate yourself by going to an Ivy and doing diligent work). Plus, you get a stipend - PharmD degree will cost you a lot of money.

I'd only choose PharmD over the PhD if and only if I was set on doing work involving clinical trials during drug development. As you probably know, clinical doctorates primarily dominate this setting. Even so, you are competing for a position against established MD's, so it's another major hoop to jump.
 
phd in chemical engineering or chemistry. i know for a fact that there are courses offered in those fields that focus on drug production, formulation, etc. i think you'd be better suited for bs then phd. but note phd is a tough field out there even in the sciences. except math, i hear a lot of math phds are hired on wall street.