Pharmacy school with kids

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JSharxpy17

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone
I searched and couldn't find a thread out there addressing this topic, so I thought I'd just start one myself. I was just curious to see how many people out there are headed to pharmacy school this fall (or already attend) who have kids? I am going to be a P1 in the fall and my daughter will have just turned 6 months old when I start. I know I surely cannot be the only one who is going to try juggling school with a family. I would just be interested to know how many other people are in my situation and how do you expect it will go/how do plan on managing?
As for me, I am lucky to have a wonderful husband who totally supports my decision to go to pharmacy school, but I still get a little nervous. I plan to, regardless of the class schedule, spend from about 7 to 5 at school every day so I can get my studying there and hopefully be able to spend time with my daughter when I get home at night. Our daycare provider is wonderful, so I won't have to worry about her during the day, and my husband has already said that he will stay home if she is ever sick or needs to go to the dr. It all seems perfectly fine in my head, but there's still a part of me that worries how things will go.
Well, that's me. Anyone else in this boat care to share their story?
Good luck to all! :luck:
 
Well, I am just working on my pre-reqs right now, but, I have a ten yr old and a 4 yr old. Just with the pre reqs I am taking all my non science classes online (other than speech) this year, and next year when the 4 yr old can start kindergarten I will take my science courses working around his schedule.

By the time I actually get into a Pharmacy program they will be old enough to take care of themselves, at least that is what I am telling myself. My biggest concern is moving them somewhere else in order to go to school. Right now I am focusing on Creighton so I wouldnt have to move them, (plus I am orignailly from Nebraska). Hopefully by the time I get ready to apply to schools more will have the online program option.

I know this didnt help you at all, just wanted to share that there are others that have the same concerns.
 
Well I'm actually in a similar situation. My wife just had our first child in March and I've applied to pharmacy school. I'm currently on the alternate list for the University of Oklahoma just hoping that somehow I'll get the magic ticket. The tough thing about this is that I'm actually leaving my job (some might consider a career) as a research and development chemist in order to go to pharmacy school. We'll go from the decent paychecks that I receive every other week to the pathetic salary of a pharmacy intern supplementing with student loans. But, in the long run, it will be worth it. As far as how I'm planning on dealing with school and a child at the same time, I have no misconceptions - it will be difficult. Even though my wife is not working right now, it will still be a challenge for me to concentrate on my classes because I try to be an involved father. My plan (if I get in) is similar to yours - get to school early, go to class, study for the afternoon, and then go home to my family. I'll try to treat school as a 50 hour per week job. Obviously in the days leading up to tests, I'll devote more time to studying but I don't think that it will require too much more committment than that. Internships are a different story. I may work on the weekends and a couple of nights per week - I'm not sure yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone
I searched and couldn't find a thread out there addressing this topic, so I thought I'd just start one myself. I was just curious to see how many people out there are headed to pharmacy school this fall (or already attend) who have kids? I am going to be a P1 in the fall and my daughter will have just turned 6 months old when I start. I know I surely cannot be the only one who is going to try juggling school with a family. I would just be interested to know how many other people are in my situation and how do you expect it will go/how do plan on managing?
As for me, I am lucky to have a wonderful husband who totally supports my decision to go to pharmacy school, but I still get a little nervous. I plan to, regardless of the class schedule, spend from about 7 to 5 at school every day so I can get my studying there and hopefully be able to spend time with my daughter when I get home at night. Our daycare provider is wonderful, so I won't have to worry about her during the day, and my husband has already said that he will stay home if she is ever sick or needs to go to the dr. It all seems perfectly fine in my head, but there's still a part of me that worries how things will go.
Well, that's me. Anyone else in this boat care to share their story?
Good luck to all! :luck:

I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old. I worry more about THEM for this fall than I do myself in school this fall. I'm sure you know what I mean. I know they will be OK, and my wife will be solid for us. I just keep telling myself that other people have gone to Pharmacy school and graduated with a family and that I know I can do it too. It is only a few years. I wish you luck too.
 
I'll be a P1 this fall and have a teenage daughter. So even though I have a child, she's capable of taking care of herself for the most part. She's actually a great help. However, when I was an undergraduate she was in kindergarten. I went to school full time and worked full time. I remember one time in chemistry class I was sitting there thinking about how much I was missing out on spending time with her. My eyes were tearing up and everything. I'm not going to lie and tell you everything is going to be roses. You're going to have at least one day like that where you just want to cry because you miss your kid and want to be spending time with them instead of in class or studying. However, you have everything lined up so that things will go as smoothly as possible. You and your husband already have addressed issues like childcare when the child is sick etc.

It's not going to be easy. But, it's not going to be so overwhelmingly hard that you won't be able to do it. Sure there will be days when you'll wonder why the hell you're doing this. But then you'll look at your family and realize that they are the reason why. You'll have to sacrifice time away from them now to make their life better later on. You'll also learn to schedule your time so that you have time to spend with your family. It may not be the quantity that you'd like, but you can make sure it's the quality you'd like.
 
I am in the same boat JSharxpy17 ... my daughter will be 3 months old when I start pharmacy school this fall. I plan to spend as much time with her in the evenings and on the weekends as I possibly can. She will go to daycare, which I'm sure she will enjoy and my husband will be able to take off work if she is sick or has to go to the doctor.
 
Hi everyone
I searched and couldn't find a thread out there addressing this topic, so I thought I'd just start one myself. I was just curious to see how many people out there are headed to pharmacy school this fall (or already attend) who have kids? I am going to be a P1 in the fall and my daughter will have just turned 6 months old when I start. I know I surely cannot be the only one who is going to try juggling school with a family. I would just be interested to know how many other people are in my situation and how do you expect it will go/how do plan on managing?
As for me, I am lucky to have a wonderful husband who totally supports my decision to go to pharmacy school, but I still get a little nervous. I plan to, regardless of the class schedule, spend from about 7 to 5 at school every day so I can get my studying there and hopefully be able to spend time with my daughter when I get home at night. Our daycare provider is wonderful, so I won't have to worry about her during the day, and my husband has already said that he will stay home if she is ever sick or needs to go to the dr. It all seems perfectly fine in my head, but there's still a part of me that worries how things will go.
Well, that's me. Anyone else in this boat care to share their story?
Good luck to all! :luck:

Hi - I just finished my P1 year, and I have a 5 and an 8 year old. Once you get started with school, I'm sure you will meet other students who also have kids, and they will generally be very sympathetic to your situation. There are around 20 people in my class who have kids, and probably some more that I don't know about. I have a couple of friends who will definitely have my back in terms of notes, help with class, etc. if I have something come up with the girls.

Also, once you get started, you may find that your school has some things that will be helpful to you in terms of balance. My school audio tapes all the required lectures, so if I had to miss class occasionally because of the kids, I could be at home that night, download the lecture, and listen to it before the next class. That was very helpful to me, as I didn't have to depend on deciphering somebody else's notes, and I got to hear exactly what the professor presented.

My other two suggestions for balance are to 1) try to figure out right away what are the most important things to do and study, and remember that you won't be able to read or do it all and 2) remember that many of your fellow students have a lot of distractions that you won't have, so in some ways it balances out.
 
I also just finished my P1 year and I have a 4yrs old and a 2 yrs old. I always say that if I can get through P1, any one can. I did everything by myself (my husband works off shore, so he is always gone).I was lucky to have him around on two or three exam weeks throughout the entire year. I drop my kids off at the daycare in the morning and pick them up at 6.30pm everyday. I always stay behind in school to study before I pick them up. They do go to daycare some saturdays if I have to go to the Library.
It was tough I can tell you that now, but I was determine to make it happen.
Anything is possible if you put your mind into it
 
I am a P2, and I have a three-year-old. It gets tough at times, but you have to keep telling yourself you are not the first or the last to do this. People do it, with more kids. I am fortunate to have a husband that helps on the weekends, because first year was tough, I was in the library all weekends. But some people don't need that much time to study, I am just slow like that, lol. But I made it, and so will you. Good Luck, and follow your dream - your family will thank you for it.
 
JSharxpy17,

I am currently a P4, (I start rotations Monday wish me luck lol) Anyway, I have two daughters who are now 6 and 9. When I look back, I must say the first semester of the first year of pharmacy school was the toughest, not because of school lol, but because you are trying to figure out how you can do it all , study, wash clothes, do dishes, cook dinner etc. hehehehe I remember being super overwhelmed when I started pharmacy school, but after a few weeks everything will fall into place. It just takes lots of planning, and it seems to me you have a plan, I too had to lean on my dear husband for alot, and in the end we worked together and have almost made it through. I always say if I can do this anyone can lol Best of luck , the years will fly by, really they do

PMart🙂
 
I will be p1 this fall and have 3 kids 14, 11, and 6. It is hard, but well worth the effort. I have found that priorities are the key for us. My husband works about 50-60 hours a week so it is hard on him too. There are days that if everyone has clean clothes and has had cereal or pb&j then they will survive while I do homework. On other days school goes on the back burner and I am Mom and Wife first only that day. Try and find balance, but remember to be flexible. And Good Luck to all of us Parents!!
 
I know Julianne, myself and all4mydaughter all have kids.

Mine will be 3 and 1 when I start at USC this fall. My wife is a stay at home mom. I'm not sure how that will work once I quit work and go to school full-time. We'll see what happens.
 
I know Julianne, myself and all4mydaughter all have kids.

Mine will be 3 and 1 when I start at USC this fall. My wife is a stay at home mom. I'm not sure how that will work once I quit work and go to school full-time. We'll see what happens.


I am in the same situation.My wife is also a stay at home mom with our 1 year ol and we are not sure how everything is going to work out when I quit work to start at OU in the fall.
 
From a different perspective...

My mom was in pharmacy school around the time I was in preschool/1st grade. I remember going to class with her when we had days off (I was perfectly content to sit through an hour lecture with my coloring book and crayons). We would do homework together at the dining room table - she was doing complicated God-knows-what and I was learning how to add. Now, I blame my academic focus and good study habits on her. 🙂
 
From a different perspective...

My mom was in pharmacy school around the time I was in preschool/1st grade. I remember going to class with her when we had days off (I was perfectly content to sit through an hour lecture with my coloring book and crayons). We would do homework together at the dining room table - she was doing complicated God-knows-what and I was learning how to add. Now, I blame my adacemic focus and good study habits on her. 🙂

Thanks. It's nice to see the child's perspective. Well I guess you aren't a child but you know what I mean. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is a great thread. I have three kids as well: 13, 9, and 10 months. Good luck to all. :luck:
 
I am applying to Sullivan's program for Fall 2008. At that time, my son will be 3 and my daughter will be 2. I am a crazy person! 😀
 
add me to the parent/pharmacy student list! i'll be starting this fall (next month actually!) with a 8 yr old and a 1 yr old! i have to admit, i wouldn't have even considered pharmacy school at this time in my life if it weren't for an amazing husband and the support of our family...good luck to all the mommies and daddies out there....
 
I'm glad to join the club. I have a 17-month old little boy and expecting another in November. I'll be starting P1 this Sept. at Rutgers. Any other Rutgers parents here?
 
Starting at USC this fall and my baby will be 6 months.
 
Thanks. It's nice to see the child's perspective. Well I guess you aren't a child but you know what I mean. 🙂

I have 3 kids; 10 years old daughter, 6 years old son and 5 years old son. I will start Lecom Bradenton this fall. My mom will stay with me and my husband will come from CA only in my final weeks ( every 2 months). I am waiting from Touro. I hope I get in so my boys will stay with my mother and my husband. I will move with my daughter to bay area. Any suggestion?
Tell you the truth, I am scared.
 
I am moving to Chicago to start pharmacy school in one month. My seven year old is moving with me. We don't have a husband/father in the picture that will be moving with us. So, yes it will be tough... considering I don't know a soul out there...but hey! We can do it.....
 
As Farmercyst said earlier, you can add me to the list of "pharmacy school parents" 👍 I have a son that just turned 7 and it looks like this upcoming semester is going to be a rough one for us. My husband will continue to work in our home city, I'll be about 3 hours away from him (in Auburn), and our son will be staying with my folks (in between/ equidistance from hubby and me). Hopefully by the time 2008 rolls around, we'll be back together as a family again...

Glad to see that there's so many other parents out there - Good luck to all of you!
 
A week after I start school my children will be 5, 4, and 3. My 5 year old Kaytlin will be starting kindergarten and my 4 year old Natalie will be starting pre-school at about the same time. My wife has been a stay at home mom. She will probably start some part time work around the time I start school. I will be quitting my full time job (going deeply into debt) and shifting to full time school till I figure out how much interning I can handle.
 
Count me in as another parent. I'm still prepharm but I have a 2 year old.🙂
 
hi, I am starting the pharmacy school in the fall. I am 27 years old. I am dreaming about having a baby. If not for the pharmacy school, I would start trying to have a baby now. I am very much scared that I will not be able to handle the pregnancy, the school and then, the baby.

My question is, Do pharmacy schools give like a year-pregnancy leave in case of pregnancy complications?
 
Wow, I just want to show my respect to all of you that are doing this with kids. I think it is awesome how you take on something like this, with so many other responsibilities already. I wish all of you the best of luck!

I think it displays a huge amount of strength and character to pull something like that off.
 
My wife and I have a 4 year old daughter. My wife works as a nurse so that helps out tremendously financially but makes child care more challenging. When our daughter is in school it should (hopefully) work out really well because her day starts at 8:30 and ends at 3ish which is pretty close to what my school day should be.

In a perfect world my wife drops her off at school on her way to work, her grandmother picks her up from school and I pick her up from there around 4. My wife gets home around 6:30 and takes over while I retreat to my little cubby hole of a study area in the attic.... in a perfect world. 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi, I am starting the pharmacy school in the fall. I am 27 years old. I am dreaming about having a baby. If not for the pharmacy school, I would start trying to have a baby now. I am very much scared that I will not be able to handle the pregnancy, the school and then, the baby.

My question is, Do pharmacy schools give like a year-pregnancy leave in case of pregnancy complications?
I'm sure that would be totally on a case by case basis, but I know that my school has granted several students the ability to re-join the next class when they had some type of medical/serious personal situation. Basically, these students just took a portion of a year off, and then rejoined the next class.