Pharmacy Tech Qualifications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CVSBodyWash

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've looked online and searched in the forums but am still wondering what the "preferred" qualifications for a pharmacy tech would typically be (preferably specific to Boston, MA)?

I've read that in some states no certification is required for up to a year after working as a tech but I'd like to know how likely it is to get hired on somewhere without a certification? What is the difference between working at a retail chain and at a hospital in terms of preferred qualifications, hours, pay, etc.?

Basically if I'm looking to work part-time as a pharm tech for experience should I take the pctb? Let them train me on their own and get certified after? Is there an additional step of registering with my particular state after getting certified that is necessary? What can I do to increase my odds of both getting hired and making more than minimum wage?

Thanks in advance for any advice! 🙂
 
I've looked online and searched in the forums but am still wondering what the "preferred" qualifications for a pharmacy tech would typically be (preferably specific to Boston, MA)?

I've read that in some states no certification is required for up to a year after working as a tech but I'd like to know how likely it is to get hired on somewhere without a certification? What is the difference between working at a retail chain and at a hospital in terms of preferred qualifications, hours, pay, etc.?

Basically if I'm looking to work part-time as a pharm tech for experience should I take the pctb? Let them train me on their own and get certified after? Is there an additional step of registering with my particular state after getting certified that is necessary? What can I do to increase my odds of both getting hired and making more than minimum wage?

Thanks in advance for any advice! 🙂

"preferred" qualifications would be certified technician with pharmacy tech experience. I don't know what your chances are for getting hired without certification - that depends on many different things. I'd just suggest getting certified.

Retail, in general, is more likely to hire someone without experience and certification but they also generally pay less. Its also been my experience that they are less flexible and understanding with hours.

Hospital, again in general, is harder to get into without experience and certification but I've found pays much better. I work at both hospital and retail and I started, at least, at $7/hour higher at the hospital. But I also had an 'in' because I had volunteered for them for a year and was liked enough by the other employees for them to tell the director they wanted me hired. The hospital is extremely understanding of students and bends over backwards to work with me on my schedule. But that really depends on the boss. For me in retail my boss is actually really understanding and lets me pick my hours as well. But one of my friends had a bad experience with his retail manager who didn't care that his priority was to be a student. It depends but these are the generalizations i've seen.

Is there an additional step of registering with my particular state after getting certified that is necessary?
The pharmacy who hired you should take care of and pay for this.

What can I do to increase my odds of both getting hired and making more than minimum wage?

Get certified. Typically stores pay them more but its usually only a 50 cent to a $1 difference. But it could also mean the difference between getting hired and not getting hired.