PharmD --> PA ? advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

STLclinical16

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys i am in my 4th year of a 6year pharmacy program. I'm really starting to think about going for my PA after. I am in therapeutics courses now and work as an intern in a hospital (have for over 3 years). While the pharmacists i work with are all clinical and get a decent amount of patient involvement i want more (and to be on the diagnostic side) and the market is becoming saturated esp for clinical pharmacists. I think PAs have a much stronger demand and are even gonna see see increases with the physician shortage and new healthcare.

How much schooling would it take me after my pharmacy degree (doctorate) and would 6 years hospital experience and 1 year of clinical rotations count towards my hours?

Thanks.
 
don't know if you could transfer to a dual pa/pharmd program like u.wa at this point. that would be ideal. I believe there are 6-7 dual pa/pharmd programs.
if not, you would have to do the whole program. pa schools don't give adv. standing to any applicants, even FMG physicians. Program policies vary on whether or not they count hours from other training programs. contact individual programs to inquire. good luck.
 
Agree with EMED. You could also parlay that into a job in a PA school after graduation if you wished because you would be in high demand since you would know how much pharmacology would be enough instead of the overkill in some programs.
 
Hey guys i am in my 4th year of a 6year pharmacy program. I'm really starting to think about going for my PA after. I am in therapeutics courses now and work as an intern in a hospital (have for over 3 years). While the pharmacists i work with are all clinical and get a decent amount of patient involvement i want more (and to be on the diagnostic side) and the market is becoming saturated esp for clinical pharmacists. I think PAs have a much stronger demand and are even gonna see see increases with the physician shortage and new healthcare.

How much schooling would it take me after my pharmacy degree (doctorate) and would 6 years hospital experience and 1 year of clinical rotations count towards my hours?

Thanks.

My school has a PA program that is about 26 months. As for clinical hours... I'm pretty sure your rotation time counts since I've seen some people count volunteer hours at the hospital/clinic as hours towards their requirement.