PhD after MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ChildNeuro

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I've posted this before, but thought I would post it again as maybe some different people are cruising this site. Basically, I am a third year MD student interested in pursuing a career in academic medicine, specifically child neurology, but I am also thinking about pediatric heme/onc, I would really love to do a PhD as it seems to me that the training afforded in the one year NIH or other postdoctoral fellowship won't position me well to good translational research. Therefore I am considering doing the PhD instead when I finish my MD, would I be able to get a residency after the MD? Is there any funding available for this? Do my Step 1 scores become too old if I am a 6 year graduate school program? Is there anyway possible where I could do a combined PhD/Child Neuro residency over maybe 7 to 8 years??? Thank you for any input! 😕 😕
 
I too am interested in neurology or pediatric neurology, although I'm not in a program yet so my insight may not be much help. But I have talked to some pediatric neurologists who are doing research here at UCSF. One professor/dean of academic affairs I talked to mentioned that a combined residency with time allocated for research is in the works. I think the residency program is 5 years, and if I remember right the first two years are strictly clinical and the last three have a lot of time for research. It sounds like a good option for you, but you may want to talk to some of the peds neuro professors at your school, especially the ones doing research. I have met many people doing research in pediatric neurology, specifically epilepsy, that have an MD only and do excellent research (to mention a couple: Donna Fererro-UCSF and Amy Brooks-Kayal UPenn). Good luck :luck:
 
ChildNeuro said:
Hi all, I've posted this before, but thought I would post it again as maybe some different people are cruising this site. Basically, I am a third year MD student interested in pursuing a career in academic medicine, specifically child neurology, but I am also thinking about pediatric heme/onc, I would really love to do a PhD as it seems to me that the training afforded in the one year NIH or other postdoctoral fellowship won't position me well to good translational research. Therefore I am considering doing the PhD instead when I finish my MD, would I be able to get a residency after the MD? Is there any funding available for this? Do my Step 1 scores become too old if I am a 6 year graduate school program? Is there anyway possible where I could do a combined PhD/Child Neuro residency over maybe 7 to 8 years??? Thank you for any input! 😕 😕
Your fastest option will be to 'fast-track' your Ph.D. in a residency that is tailor-made for potential physician scientists. Univ. of Virginia, for example, has a fast-track Ph.D. in their anesthesiology residency program. Cardiology had a similar program at some institutions. I'm sure neurology should also.