Physical Therapy Dual Degree Programs

Started by andy0311
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

andy0311

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a pre-PT student and would like to open my own private practice someday. On the sidelines, I'm also interested in doing research and helping to create innovations/ideas, designs, and devices ect. to help America's disabled and elderly population. So is there like a DPT/PHD dual degree program? If so, can you give me a list of the schools that offer it! Thanks. Also does a DPT/MPH dual degree program emphasize research??? or is that not the way to goo.
 
I haven't seen a DPT/PhD dual degree. Usually all ive seen are the DPT/MBA or DPT/MOT dual degrees. I would pursue the DPT/MPH dual degree but I dont think I can get into a program that offers a DPT/MPH. The reason is because if I do get burned out (see the other thread about PTs going to med school) I have an MPH to fall back on, which I can use if I want to work over seas and help with the peace corps and actually get paid, or work at a US embassy in the Philippines or something to promote health/wellness <-- Yeah I already researched it, apparently the US embassys around the world need them all the time.
 
I'm a pre-PT student and would like to open my own private practice someday. On the sidelines, I'm also interested in doing research and helping to create innovations/ideas, designs, and devices ect. to help America's disabled and elderly population. So is there like a DPT/PHD dual degree program? If so, can you give me a list of the schools that offer it! Thanks. Also does a DPT/MPH dual degree program emphasize research??? or is that not the way to goo.

I am currently a DPT/PhD student. There are a handful of schools across the country that offer dual degree programs. If you are interested in rehabilitation research and/or academia, it is an excellent combination. Even if the schools you are interested in don't offer a dual program, there is nothing stopping you from completing the DPT and continuing with a PhD. If you go that route, I'd advise you have strong clinicals during the PT phase of your training and that there is opportunity to do clinical work during your PhD years.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think you do research while getting your PhD. Northwestern University in Chicago offers a really great dual DPT/PhD program. Only one girl in my class is doing it right now.
 
What kinds of options/advantages do you think of having the PT/PhD combo?
Just thinking about options. I'm doing an MPT and am considering either a DPT or PhD when I am done, but wanted to weigh all the pros/cons of each one. Any thoughts?