Please help, how to study for verbal section

Started by ProRx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ProRx

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thsi is my first thread here. I have a difficult tiem on how to study fo rverbal section because thi sis a section I did really bad, it is just aroud 5 % , I did others parst okay but this part pull down my composite. May you recommend some methods or books that I can improve this , I plan to take the test in October 06.
thanks for imput from everyone, I am really appreciate
 
ProRx said:
thsi is my first thread here. I have a difficult tiem on how to study fo rverbal section because thi sis a section I did really bad, it is just aroud 5 % , I did others parst okay but this part pull down my composite. May you recommend some methods or books that I can improve this , I plan to take the test in October 06.
thanks for imput from everyone, I am really appreciate


If I understand your post correctly, you took the actual PCAT and scored 5% on the verbal section? If this is correct then this section should definitely be your focus. Verbal was a really tough section for me as well. I guess I would suggest getting a Kaplan book or other PCAT prep book that gives you root words, prefixes and suffixes to study. Many of these prep books also give you a list words that tend to be found on standardized tests such as the PCAT. For the reading comprehension section, I found this book to be pretty helpful:

Reading Comprehension Success in 20 Minutes a Day by Elizabeth Chesla (bought mine on Amazon.com)

If I may ask, is english your primarily language?
 
mph2pharm said:
If I understand your post correctly, you took the actual PCAT and scored 5% on the verbal section? If this is correct then this section should definitely be your focus. Verbal was a really tough section for me as well. I guess I would suggest getting a Kaplan book or other PCAT prep book that gives you root words, prefixes and suffixes to study. Many of these prep books also give you a list words that tend to be found on standardized tests such as the PCAT. For the reading comprehension section, I found this book to be pretty helpful:

Reading Comprehension Success in 20 Minutes a Day by Elizabeth Chesla (bought mine on Amazon.com)

If I may ask, is english your primarily language?
yes, English is my second language, I do well on science and math parts but very bad in verbal and my reading comprehensions is around 55 % and not as good as I want but overall it pull the composite down
thanks for advice, I will check the book comprehension in 20 mins , is it a used book or I have to buy it brand new?
 
ProRx said:
yes, English is my second language, I do well on science and math parts but very bad in verbal and my reading comprehensions is around 55 % and not as good as I want but overall it pull the composite down
thanks for advice, I will check the book comprehension in 20 mins , is it a used book or I have to buy it brand new?


I bought my copy new from Amazon.com but I just checked and I guess they are no longer selling new copies BUT they are selling used copies starting from around $1.55 (don't know what condition they are in).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ProRx said:
thsi is my first thread here. I have a difficult tiem on how to study fo rverbal section because thi sis a section I did really bad, it is just aroud 5 % , I did others parst okay but this part pull down my composite. May you recommend some methods or books that I can improve this , I plan to take the test in October 06.
thanks for imput from everyone, I am really appreciate
Perhaps some of the review books for the TOEFL test (English as second language test that foreign-trained pharmacists take) might be helpful?? I'm not familiar with that test's content, but I'm thinking it's primarily verbal type questions.
 
usi said:
thank USI, I try some of web tonight, and it is fun, and learning, better than surf the web for news.
how about verbal analagies, I know it test some kind of correlation and logics but you know if I do not knwo the meanign of for example A and B then I have no clue to gues what is C and D , how it related
it is tough, it is just like American try to learn Chinese to me
TOEFL I think may not help becauce all standard tests is another level higher than TOEFL, it is not test for foreingners, but for native speaking American
thank you
 
Start studing NOW for verbal. Its one of those things you cant cram in at the last minute, you need to let the words roll around in your brain for a while to really own them.

Find a list of vocab words, in particular SAT top 100 since they use a lot of the same. In your spare time read some interesting novels a little above your reading comfortability and look up anything that seems unfamilar.
 
DownonthePharm said:
Start studing NOW for verbal. Its one of those things you cant cram in at the last minute, you need to let the words roll around in your brain for a while to really own them.

Find a list of vocab words, in particular SAT top 100 since they use a lot of the same. In your spare time read some interesting novels a little above your reading comfortability and look up anything that seems unfamilar.

thanks all of you , I start to learn it now, these are vocabulary we do not use daily, and they are useless in pharmacy school !! so I try to swallow them slowly, and read some journal to improve my vocabulary
thanks DownonthePharm
 
I take notes of the words I don't know when I read books, scholastic journals, etc...and keep a loooooong list of it with definitions and sentences. Some of them were on the actual PCAT test, about 6 of them out of the 13 pages I have. 🙂
 
thsi is my first thread here. I have a difficult tiem on how to study fo rverbal section because thi sis a section I did really bad, it is just aroud 5 % , I did others parst okay but this part pull down my composite. May you recommend some methods or books that I can improve this , I plan to take the test in October 06.
thanks for imput from everyone, I am really appreciate
You can go to Quizlet website and search for PCAT Verbal Section which I made. English is my second language and I got 43 percentile on the July 2013 test.