Post-bac or Master's

Started by 4fs4ml
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

4fs4ml

New Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I recently graduated from state university with BS in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. (GPA ~3.1)
I finished all the required courseworks for medical school admissions and scored 25 on recent MCAT.
I got into UPenn Speical Science program, Johns Hopkins MS Biotechnology program, and UChicago Graduate Student-at-Large.

I picked UPenn as my first choice but I'm having a second thought.
I already have 150+ undergraduate credit and according to my calculation, taking 20 ~ 30 more undergraduate credit in UPenn would only raise my GPA from 3.1 to somewhere around 3.2. In addition, I already got by BS in biochem and Mole. Bio and many advanced science courses they offer are ones I already took or have contents that are overlaping with my previous courses. So, I'm afraid that taking these courses again would not look too good to admissions commitee.

If I go with JHU MS Biotech program, I will start my graduate GPA on a clean slate with MS degree in the end. However, even though the curriculum involves a number of advanced biology courses, the program is not directly geared towards medical education and unlike UPenn, I would not be able to get pre-med advising.

The GSAL program in UChicago is not a degree program. It provides a chance to take some graduate level courses as well as some undergraduate courses if a student wants to improve their grade. However, the program does not have a specific curriculum and requires a lot of self-management. I think they provide a pre-med advising but I'm not sure.

I'm shooting for 2008-2009 cycle and I'll definitely retake MCAT in Jan or Apr.
Please share your ideas. Thanks.
 
Look into SMPs (special masters programs) that last 1 year. You take the M1 curriculum w/ the medical students. Georgetown, EVMS, Tulane, BU and U cinnci have programs. There are also other graduate programs specifically geared toward medical admissions like VCU (the program I did).

Braluk has a sticky at the top of the post bac forum