-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allizzwell

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi
I graduated with a B.S. and was a science major.
Because of my low undergrad GPA (very low sGPA) I'm considering taking a post bacc program/getting a masters at my undergrad school but I'm not so sure what program I should choose or if I have to apply to other programs at other schools as well.
My school's MS programs have a minimum GPA that they want, and my GPA is lower than that. So I think it's pointless for me to apply to my school for masters.

Here are my questions:
1. Does it matter whether I do MS or a year long special post bacc program?
2. Would you recommend that I apply to different schools for masters/post bacc programs (which one of the two?)
OR apply to a year long special post bacc program at my school (this one is like taking all the biology classes I've already taken as an undergrad though)?
3. Which one would you recommend: biology/chemistry/biomedical program?

I'd appreciate it if you could give me some advice.
Thanks in advance.

1. Yes it does, MS GPA does not get combined to your undergrad sGPA and is reported as a standalone. Hence, if you have low undergrad GPA, it is advisable you complete POST BACH for 2 years to pull it up to a respectable number, aka 3.1-3.2. Then complete a non thesis base masters (again dental schools just want to see you do well taking classes not really into research but research does help).

2. go to any place that makes you feel comfortable, you are sure you can do well, and you are near a support system in case things go sour sometimes. the point of postbach is to retake classes you do badly in and take some more upper div classes. so it is OK to retake the biology classes in undergrad but add in some new upper div class you havent taken aka immunology, microbiology, virology, parasitology, cancer,

3. you go for the classes not the name of the program. usually biology and biomedical program will allow to take mostly biology and freedom to take chem classes if you wish to do so.

but again, you should debate how low your GPA is and how long will it take you to do post bach to pull it up to 3.2, then 1 year masters, then 1 year SMP. after all, is it worth it?

school is like an investment. you can't double down on something with little gain and huge loss (time and youth loss)