Posting on behalf of spouse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dunkthetall

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
State: NC

Major: bio

GPA: 3.93c 3.75s

MCAT: 497 (2022), 504(2023), 501(2024)

Race: AA with close ties and registered with Native American tribe.

Research: 4+ years between undergrad and post-bachelor with 4 pubs and a research award.

Jobs: research tech for 2 years. Recent scribe job at outpatient surgery office working with DO and MD.

Volunteering: Children’s hospital a few hours weekly starting past winter and will continue for the next year. Looking at starting underserved volunteering in June.

ECs: none outside of research during undergrad. Due to COVID and graduating early, didn’t go to campus much except to conduct research.

Thinking there’s some testing anxiety around MCAT. Kept getting sick around the dates of the last two, and got sick day of the last one.

Was thinking of MD/PhD early on which changed to MD but now fine with MD or DO. Interested in primary care. With enough volunteering is MD or DO still feasible, especially in 2025?

Members don't see this ad.

Can you (your spouse) describe specific life experiences that reflect any challenges experienced prior to going to college. Educational, family, or environmental circumstances?
Nothing substantial. For example identity issues from her ethnicity and going to white schools, but as far as I can tell it would have been the typical experience of teenagers in their shoes.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many scribing hours does she have ? How many hours to date volunteering at the Children's hospital.
Just started the job, so ~120 hours and will be FT until applying.

For the hospital, ~30. Will be volunteering 2-3 hours a week until applying as well.

She would be better off to apply in June 2025 since here clinical and non clinical hours are too low for this application cycle.
She should accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing (including primary care) and she may be able to do this at her current scribe job.
I suggest these schools when she applies:
East Carolina
North Carolina
Wake Forest
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew
Belmont
NOVA MD
Miami
Emory
Tulane
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Indiana
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Alice Walton
Roseman

Reactions: 1 user
She would be better off to apply in June 2025 since here clinical and non clinical hours are too low for this application cycle.
She should accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing (including primary care) and she may be able to do this at her current scribe job.
I suggest these schools when she applies:
East Carolina
North Carolina
Wake Forest
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew
Belmont
NOVA MD
Miami
Emory
Tulane
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Indiana
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Alice Walton
Roseman
Oh yeah 2025 was the earliest we were thinking.

Do you have suggestions for DO? We’re thinking of a list of 20-25 total schools with 40-50% DO to maximize chances.

Oh yeah 2025 was the earliest we were thinking.

Do you have suggestions for DO? We’re thinking of a list of 20-25 total schools with 40-50% DO to maximize chances.
She should definitely include all 4 HBCU schools.
For DO schools I suggest these:
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
PCOM ( all schools)
NYITCOM
MU-COM
KCU-COM
ACOM
The GPA-MCAT grid shows she has almost a 90% chance for a MD acceptance so you only need 5 or 6 DO schools.

She should definitely include all 4 HBCU schools.
For DO schools I suggest these:
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools)
PCOM ( all schools)
NYITCOM
MU-COM
KCU-COM
ACOM
The GPA-MCAT grid shows she has almost a 90% chance for a MD acceptance so you only need 5 or 6 DO schools.
Awesome, thank you so much!

Where is her tribe from? Depending on that I'd add a few more schools. Potentially Oklahoma, UNM, UA (Tucson and Phoenix), Minnesota, UWisc, UWash, OHSU, Ohio St, and some more.

If she could do a bit better on the MCAT she'd be golden. Does she have it in her to take it once more?

Last edited:
Where is her tribe from? Depending on that I'd add a few more schools. Potentially Oklahoma, UNM, UA (Tucson and Phoenix), Minnesota, UWisc, UWash, OHSU, Ohio St, and some more.

If she could do a bit better on the MCAT she'd be golden. Does she have it in her to take it once more?
Eastern U.S only recognized at the regional level. Can’t go into details for her privacy because it’s so small haha.

We thought about it, but we’re not quite sure what would change unless it is anxiety-related and she got therapy. But even then I think there’s more risk than reward because we’re not sure she could get a 513+ to note substantial improvement. And even if so, she’d be applying further into the future. As long as she gets in somewhere she’ll be happy because she doesn’t think she’d be interested in something outside primary care.

• Care