Potential student

Started by Doug13
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Doug13

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I am a high school student that is very interested in pharmacy, specifically nuclear pharmacy.
However, I have some questions to ask.
Which branch of pharmacy is the most perferable to incoming students?
What jobs are there in these fields, and what are their pay?
If I were to go into a further branch of pharmacy than retail, would i have to get a Pharm.d degree, and then the other degree?
 
Hello, I am a high school student that is very interested in pharmacy, specifically nuclear pharmacy.
However, I have some questions to ask.
Which branch of pharmacy is the most perferable to incoming students?
What jobs are there in these fields, and what are their pay?
If I were to go into a further branch of pharmacy than retail, would i have to get a Pharm.d degree, and then the other degree?

Well speaking for myself as an admitted student I'm pretty much open to any branch of pharmacy although I am most likely going to attempt to get into some sort of a primary care position.

But really until you get into school and get involved with clubs and acquire more experience through shadowing/interning you really can't say for sure what you truly want to go into. I'm interested in nuclear pharmacy as well, I've talked a great deal to a retired nuclear pharmacist and he really enjoyed it. Extremely early mornings are a common fact with it due to the amount of time it takes to prepare medication but it's a small price to pay for a really interesting job.

I have no idea about the pay for branches, I've heard that compounding pharmacy can be quite lucrative though since you can make really specialized medications so it's a great little niche job.
Here's a very helpful document that goes through every single branch you can think of: http://pharmacy.osu.edu/academics/introduction-to-pharmacy/materials/PfizerPharmacyCareerGuide.pdf

As for your last question, I believe that your PhrmD and about 2 years of residency can land you really an job in the field. Further specialization/certification may be needed depending on the exact branch. Good luck, hope this somewhat helped.
 
Hello, I am a high school student that is very interested in pharmacy, specifically nuclear pharmacy.
However, I have some questions to ask.
Which branch of pharmacy is the most perferable to incoming students?
What jobs are there in these fields, and what are their pay?
If I were to go into a further branch of pharmacy than retail, would i have to get a Pharm.d degree, and then the other degree?

1) Welcome to SDN!🙂

2) Use the search function first to scoop through the forum for potential ready-made answers to your questions. Saves time & energy...and forum space as well.

3) Try this: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=198059

4) Make Google your best friend.

Best of luck.