Pre for PCAT essay?

Started by clampjia
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

clampjia

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm taking PCAT 1st time in Jan, 2009 and I have no idea how to start preaparing essay sections...I read that there are 2 problem solving essays and one is not marked if I understand correctly??

What kind of topics would they give on the essay part and how should i prepare for it?? Are the topic more related to current issues and something easy to take about even if I have no idea about the topic? I don't really read newspaper or watch news that much...><

I'm really bad at English...and really scared for the verbal and essay parts. Any help would be great!😍
 
Don't worry about the essays - I've never heard of a school that cares about them. I always just tried to have an intro paragraph, maybe 3 paragraphs in the body covering various points, and a quick wrap-up paragraph. Double check for spelling and grammar and you'll be fine.
 
Does anybody know how long the PCAT essay is. I saw on the barrons that you have 30 minutes per essay. do you know how this works? how much space? do you get scrap!?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Actually you do get a page for creating an outline or what have you...I utilized an outline and found it helpful actually (surprisingly)... then 4 pages with lines on them, for mine (October 08) we had 30min and it was the easiest section of the entire test, and I hate writing/reading. Just write, write, write, and try to use your knowledge from school/readings if you can. You should complete about 2 pages.

Overall it's only 5 points of your total composite, and I havent heard of anyone getting less than a 3 on it, as long as you write something legible with proper english/grammer (for example a sentence ends with a period, etc. duh) you will be fine... focus on the other sections honestly, not essay. Hope this helps, I will be retaking in Jan. 09 woohoo!