Pre-Req Order Question

Started by ktachiba
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ktachiba

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,

I was wondering what order I should take the pre-requisite courses in? I have not taken any science courses since High School, as I majored in Economics at UC Irvine.

I plan on applying next summer, so I have a good amount of time to get all the pre-reqs done (so I'm probably going to only take 2-3 courses a semester).

Here are the list of pre-reqs from the various schools that I am applying to..

Chem 1A, Chem 1B
Physics 2A, Physics 2B
Human Anatomy
Human Physiology
Zoology
General Biology I
Cellular Biology

I am currently taking the Psychology pre-req courses as well, and I suspect these will be the easiest of the group. If anybody had advice on the order I should take the rest of the pre-req courses, it would be greatly appreciated!
 
It ultimately comes down to personal preference. IMO there are two main ways to go about taking these classes: classes where subject matter will overlap some or classes where they don't. So if you want your subject matter to overlap a little I would take Chem/Physics together and then take Gen. Bio/Anatomy and then Cell Bio/Physiology (and throw Zool somewhere with the Bios/A&P). The other option would be Chem/Bio's together (general 1st) and then Physics/A&P together with Zool thrown in towards the end.
 
I did it the second way Yohan said...

I took my 2nd pysch class on and prob&stats online in the summer, then I took bio 1, chem 1 and anatomy together (fall), then bio 2, chem 2 and physiology together (spring) and then physics 1&2 (summer)

At my school you have to either take bio before or concurrently with chem, don't know why... It seemed to work well for me and when physics came around I was more than ready math-wise from chemistry.

Anyway, I spaced mine out a little because I wanted to ensure I got the best grades possible. My girlfriend crammed it all in-- in Fall she took Bio, Anatomy, Chem, Physics and prob & stats. Then in spring she took Bio, Physiology, Physics, Exercise Physiology... She got it all in, but her grades definitely suffered. She got a lot of Bs and Cs and I got *almost* straight As. (And we took the same profs for everything other than prob&stats and I didn't take exercise phys)

So it's all in what you want-- I wanted to make myself the best candidate ever-- she just needed to do "well enough" to get into the one program she applied to.