prelim personal statement

Started by kel
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kel

New Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone help me out here? I am working on my prelim personal statement and just wondering what everyone's approach is. Should I still talk about and elaborate on why I chose ophthalmology like I did for Opthal's personal statement? Or should I focus on why I think it's important to be trained in internal medicine/transitional medicine prior to entering opthal residency and not talk too much ophthal stuff?? Obviously the prelim PD's know I'm not interested in becoming an internist or any other specialties(peds,ob,..) and therefore I feel a little awkward talking about why I want to be trained in their fields. On the other hand, I also don't want to bore them or turn them off with my ophthal stuff, such as my clinical and research experiences in opthal. Any suggestion or guidance will be greatly appreciated.
 
Basically, I deleted the "why I want to be an ophthalmologist" paragraph, and inserted the "although I'm pursuing ophtho, I desire to be a well trained generalist" paragraph. I've gotten a few interview invites, so I guess it worked. Just my 2 cents.