Prelim programs & Ophtho

Started by fugax
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fugax

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I just wanted to start a thread on prelim programs (either medicine or transitional) for those of us applying in ophtho this year. I thought we could start a list organized by city:

1) New York: Columbia, St. Vincent's
2) Boston: Brigham/Faulkner
3) Chicago: Northwestern
4) Southern CA: UCLA, Huntington, Santa Barbara Cottage
5) Bay area: Stanford, Kaiser SF
6) Philly: HUP medicine prelim, Presbyterian Transitional year

Any others?
 
Since nobody has replied to this message, I thought I would try and jumpstart it again...anyone have any thoughts/recommendations about prelim programs? I was wondering if people had already heard from the majority of their prelims by now...(I actually have only heard from a little less than half). I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts regarding choosing a transitional year over a medicine prelim, etc. I've found that I'm actually more out to sea when it comes to learning about prelim programs than about ophtho programs. I hope I'm not the only one out there who feels this way.

Any thoughts on prelims would be welcome...
 
hey,

I interviewed at St. Vincent's for prelim and transitional. Fugax, have you been there yet?

I thought it was very good. My tour guide was an intern and he said he'd go there again in a heartbeat. I've only heard good things from people who did their internship there.

I personally don't see any downside to this program: great people, great location, strong program.

I haven't heard from any of the better known prelim programs in the city. In fact, I haven't heard from a majority the prelims. What places have people heard from already?

As for transitional vs. prelim, I also don't know what's better. Transitionals are supposed to be more chill compared to prelims, but that's the extent of my understanding!