prelim. vs. transitional???

Started by gregfoti
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gregfoti

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just wondering if anyone know if there is a difference between a preliminary year and a transitional year first year?

thank you
 
Originally posted by gregfoti
I was just wondering if anyone know if there is a difference between a preliminary year and a transitional year first year?

thank you

Prelim medicine = 6+ mos ward medicine, less flexibility of elective months

Transitional = 3 mos ward medicine, 3 mos surgery, lots of flexibility with electives

These are just rough differences. There are plenty of exceptions. For example, the transitional program at Memoral Sloan Kettering in NYC has 6 mos of ward medicine mandatory. I'm not sure what is included in prelim surgery. I don't really want to find out!
 
Originally posted by powermd
. I'm not sure what is included in prelim surgery. I don't really want to find out!

Me either! I also heard some programs will not accept a prelim surgery year now although in the past this was acceptable. Something about ACGME requirements for anesthesia including a certain amount of medicine. Unfortunately prelim surg is much easier to find than med.
 
Sup Foti-

My impression is that transitional year as a whole is more stress-free than prelim. Some programs offer anesthesiology electives... so if you're eager to get your feet wet then it might be nice to get into one of those programs. Also, I don't think the hours are as bad (as a whole).
On the other side of the coin... medicine is awsome. There is alot to learn, but I think most of it is really cool stuff (ie, ablation of an accessory pathway after maping of a diseased area of the heart-of course this is done by an electrophysiologist, but nonetheless you can be involved). You will however get called in the middle of the night to fix a K+ of 3.1. Medicine is sweet, and I don't know of any other time where you will have the opportunity to dive deep into it.
That said, next year I will probably be going for a transitional year, although I may change my mind by then. 😕 :idea: