Preliminary Year Info

Started by anights
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

anights

New Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

Let's say I'm applying to a residency that requires a preliminary year, and I match in a prelim program but I don't match in the residency as in for PGY2. Is there any benefit to doing the prelim year? Can I apply from a prelim year to a PGY2 position in Internal Medicine? (in other words have the Prelim year count as a PGY1 for IM?)

I guess I want to know if the Prelim year is useful for anything other than fulfilling the PGY1 obligation for those residencies that require it(i.e., radiology, anesthesia ect.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

- Anights
 
Hi anights:

I am no expert but I believe it will depend both on what your prelim year consists of and on the demands of the particular residency your applying to for your second year. Even if you do a prelim in medicine - some people will require you to do another year. However, there are many people who change specialty and/or reapply during their intern year - so you would have a second chance to apply. I would talk to PDs as you interview to see what they think. Many are more concerned that you will match to their program and then be without a prelim. Hope this helps.

cheers,

M-