Preparing this Summer for College

Started by DahDahDah
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DahDahDah

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, I'm new here 😀! I will be going into a pre-pharmacy program this fall, and I was wondering what I should be studying to better prepare myself. Does anyone have anything to recommend like books or anything?
 
Your college textbooks will be the most important books. Whether you need to take the PCAT or not, you do need to do well in your college courses. It's best to really pay attention and not memorize as it'll reflect better on your GPA and PCAT scores.

As for the short-term, I suppose you could do some light reading of some good journals and old notes. Reading more helps for PCAT reading and the old notes allow you to be fresh for your college courses. If you're a workoholic, then that's fine but it's not a prerequisite for pharmacy school admission.
 
Depending on when you want to apply, making a clear cut plan for when you want to attend pharmacy school is also very important. If you want to go after your 2 years of prereqs, then start looking at it now. If you would to apply for Fall '10, for example, then you'd have to start applying by this time next year. So you would want to make sure you're on the right track for classes (each schools has different prereqs, so make sure you know which classes you need for the schools you'll apply to). And you would also want pharmacy experience, extracurriculars, and good connections with your professors and pharmacists to get great letters of recommendation.

Having a good plan is the best advice I can give you. If someone had told me that before my freshman year, then I could've made better choices. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for all the replies everyone, I'm pretty stoked about going to college. I've been starting to read more often now that it's the summer, so I guess I've been doing something right.

I wish I could have attended a summer school at a local community college but the tuition was too high. Since I cannot, I'm just reading an old trigonometry textbook that my high school threw away. I even bought Gray's Anatomy (do you think that was necessary?) to read over, but I'm not sure if that book is overdoing it to prepare myself for the anatomy class I will be taking my freshman year.

So I guess pretty much what I can do to prepare is to just read up on the subjects that I will be taking next year?
 
Nah, you don't need to do any prepwork for the courses themselves. The best things you can be doing are preparing yourself for college life, finding a good roommate, and finding good friends. Just go easy on the partying your first couple years (but make sure to still party some 😀 )
 
Freshman year goes by fast (I'm an upcoming sophomore...and I still can't believe it!) I love college and I'm sure you will too. For me, the level of maturity and individuality is a plus. And you'll form some great relationships.

But just as long as you have your goals checked and doing the work / studying, then you can have as much fun as you want!