This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

license43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't focus on gpa so much. Instead, focus how well you are doing on question banks and comsaes/nbme and see what your scores are there.

Just pass. Unless you’re after a competitive specialty... then you may be in trouble. You’re all good for FM and IM.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Even if you are after a competitive specialty, your GPA does not matter. Board scores matter. Do whatever you have to do to score as high as possible.
Board scores, research, LOR, clinical grades >>> residue left on the side of your mouth after talking too much >> pre-clinical grades

Reactions: 5 users
Neuro is not competitive either... People in my low tier MD school matched into university neuro program with <210 step1. No one my class applied PM&R, so I can't give my opinion about it...
What region in the country? Curious

OP, you’re probably going to be fine, as long as you do well on boards and rotations. I had a few interviewers ask me about my grade trajectory since I had an awful first semester and got better from there, but I don’t get the feeling that GPA matters much.

Neuro is not competitive either... People in my low tier MD school matched into university neuro program with <210 step1. No one my class applied PM&R, so I can't give my opinion about it...

No offense, but while I know you think your school is “low tier”, your application cycle was still not the same as a DO’s.

OP, you’re probably going to be fine, as long as you do well on boards and rotations. I had a few interviewers ask me about my grade trajectory since I had an awful first semester and got better from there, but I don’t get the feeling that GPA matters much.

No offense, but while I know you think your school is “low tier”, your application cycle was still not the same as a DO’s.
Maybe the stupid MD degree might have made a difference. I don't know...

I feel like I've heard neuro isn't overly competitive for DOs either though

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, does that include aiming for residency starting 2021...? Also what about PMR and or neuro?
Yep. It’ll be cool in 2021. For better or for worst, GPA generally isn’t scrutinized too much because it’s so subjective when comparing scores school-to-school. Do well on your boards and you’ll be good.

Last edited:
What's your class rank? GPA doesn't matter, but class rank can factor in. But I agree with others that board scores is all that matters now. And who knows what neuro will be like in 3 years. Just bust your ass and pray to the ERAS gods and hope for the best.

Dafuq is a GPA in med school? Just do well on boards. If you want neuro or PMR, show interest in the field and get an OK+ step 1.

While it may not be true for all schools, at mine class performance has very poor correlation to board scores. If anything, studying for class makes you do worst on boards :bored:

Boards = life. GPA is worthless as long as you aren't failing class.

Don't fail classes, try not to get Cs...they look bad
But if you're doing fine on Qbank and board, and you're not shooting for ortho or derm, then I guess GPA by itself wouldn't matter much

The step 1 forum will answer your question... Not in position to give advice on USMLE since I did not do too well in them. I know many who did well (230+) using Uworld/FA/Pathoma

Any other good step 1 resources for path and micro? Those two subjects I struggle the most. I'm okay in everything else. Okay thanks.

There are tidbits in there that are out of date, but I highly recommend the Goljan pathology audio, especially if you're an auditory learner. The lectures are old and maybe not comprehensive (though really, what is?) but there were definitely questions I got right because I heard "Papi" in my head. Googling "Goljan audio" should get you on the right track-- I normally wouldn't encourage pirating, but if there's a way to legally pay the man I'm not aware of it.

There are tidbits in there that are out of date, but I highly recommend the Goljan pathology audio, especially if you're an auditory learner. The lectures are old and maybe not comprehensive (though really, what is?) but there were definitely questions I got right because I heard "Papi" in my head. Googling "Goljan audio" should get you on the right track-- I normally wouldn't encourage pirating, but if there's a way to legally pay the man I'm not aware of it.

I say “PIGEON!”; you say “CRYPTOCOCCUS!”

Reactions: 3 users