Psychiatric issues

Started by Telamir
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Telamir

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering: How common is it for neurologists to manage psychiatric issues in their patients? Say a patient with a terminal disease is depressed, or say someone with parkinson's is having hallucinations; do you manage that?

In my rather limited experience, I've seen some neurologists do it; I've seen a pediatric neurologist manage ADD in some patients, as well as other common psychiatric issues.

I was wondering how common it was, or what's your stance on this sort of thing.
 
I was wondering: How common is it for neurologists to manage psychiatric issues in their patients? Say a patient with a terminal disease is depressed, or say someone with parkinson's is having hallucinations; do you manage that?

In my rather limited experience, I've seen some neurologists do it; I've seen a pediatric neurologist manage ADD in some patients, as well as other common psychiatric issues.

I was wondering how common it was, or what's your stance on this sort of thing.

It's pretty common, but it depends a lot on personal comfort and confidence levels.

Also depends on what you consider "neurologic" vs "psychiatric" . . . remember, the BRAIN is the common organ of ALL behavior. Those hallucinations in a parkinson's patient? Maybe they're because you've got them jacked up on too much levodopa -- not really a "psych" problem, is it?

Personally, there's no way I would treat what I think of as "pure" psychiatric stuff (bipolar, schizophrenia, hard-core anxiety or suicidal-level depression, etc).

I will sometimes treat people who I think have mild depression (especially if "reactive" to some other illness), mild anxiety, or ADD, but it depends a lot on the "vibe" I get from the patient. If I'm getting that "this-person-is-probably-even-crazier-than-they-look" feeling, I won't do it.

And keep in mind, we prescribe a lot of "multi-functional" meds -- depakote, lamictal, topamax, etc, all great for both seizures and depression; benzos for seizures and sleep also help anxiety, etc. So we tend to do a lot of the "two birds with one stone" thing.