PTCAS Submission's Effect on Shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am in the process of obtaining my shadowing hours, but the rest of my PTCAS application is complete. To my knowledge, once you submit the PTCAS, you can only change some categories. Is shadowing hours one of these categories? Or should I complete as much shadowing prior to submitting the PTCAS?
 
Good question. I do know that after you e-submit you cant change anything but the grades and courses during the academic update.

I dont know what to advise about the observation hours. If you dont enter an end date it'll show that you are in the process of getting the hours, but from what im reading in this forum is that the more experience in different settings, the better your chances, so I dont know what you should do.
 
Keep in mind that even though you can't enter certain things on PTCAS past the expiration date, you can always email the program with your updates on classes taken, shadowing hours, etc. I know myself and others last year that sent out updates to the contact person for schools. That way, you not only give them current info., but also kind of stand out for staying in contact and showing your drive and interest in their program.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also updated mine after e-submitting, but I also had to talk to customer service for PTCAS to do something....don't remember what, but they were very helpful and nice. Don't hesitate to give them a call.
 
You can also "post date" your hours. If you already have your hours scheduled into the future, just count those now and put your "end date" as whenever you plan to stop shadowing there.