Q on ROL for Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medready2005

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey All:

Some quick Qs

So I interviewed at a total of 9 categorical programs; two of which I easily eliminated, one is borderline and the other six I am sure to rank. I think overall my interviews went very well and I have already been contacted by a few programs stating their interest in having me train at their program(s). Here are my Qs:

1. Is ranking a total of SIX programs adequate enough to avoid the dreaded scramble?

2. I'm looking to go to NYC; some of my top ones include Columbia, NYU, Monte and Jacobi; anyone willing to give me some advice on where these should fall on my list please help!

Thanks SDNers!!! 👍👍
 
1) Define "adequate"

In simple terms, looking at the 2007 Charting Outcomes in the Match report, page 88, if you're a US Senior, 6 programs is fine...but even trying to suicide match in peds still yields an 85%+ match rate. Ranking 6 puts you at a 97.2% rate. Of course this is assuming that the Peds data stays relatively constant (and I don't think there's any reason not to believe that).

If you're an independent applicant, there does appear to be a sizable jump at 7 programs. So it probably is advantageous to put 7.

The only other thing is do you think you have a safety...someplace (like maybe your home program) that you think it's highly unlikely that you'd ever not get into. If so, then it probably doesn't matter how many you rank, you'll match.

http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2007.pdf
 
Thanks BigRed! Great Advice!! Any other SDNers what to chip in?

Thanks in advance!!