Question About Self Study for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MCAT2014Study

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone,

I took all of my pre-reqs about 11-12 years ago. I have decided not to retake the courses again. I have decided to study for the MCAT and take it next year. However, it has been a very long time since I have studied the materials so I don't think it would be helpful to start taking any prep courses right now because I won't be able to catch up with the prep program.

I need some advice as to what is the best study method for someone like me.

My plan is to study for 4-5 months on my own just to have a thorough content review and then register for Princeton Review for their prep course and intensively study and take sample tests for about 3 months. Is that a good plan???

Also, does anyone know of a good self-paced program that I can register for or a study schedule that I can look at online to pace myself in my reviewing of the content materials????

Thank you for helping out! 🙂
 
If you know you will be able to study better through a prep course, I would say sure. Some people might say 4-5 months of content review is too much, but considering you took pre-reqs so many years ago, I think that is a good plan.

Regarding a study schedule, a good place to start will be this one here for your information:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=623898

Check out other threads in the MCAT forum and you will probably find better answers there. =)
 
Please research the schools you are going to apply to- many of them have an expiration date for course work. The last thing you want to do is take the mcat, and then have to spend a year or two retaking courses to apply...then jeopardizing your mcat expiration date. When I applied I ran into a lot of schools that said 8 years as the maximum. So just research ahead of time. Many schools don't put it on their website because it is not a frequent issue...so may need to call them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took the mcat after most of a year of biochem, and no biology since I took AP bio over ten years before my exam. I attribute my score on the BS section to that course- so if you don't have it, it may be worth your while to give it a go at your local university.