question regarding personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

socalpharm86

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I am just about ready to submit my applications, but my personal statement still needs a bit of review. In particular I would like some advice regarding a situation I am in.

I started college education at a community college and transfered to a university 4 years ago with a 3.5 GPA. When I transfered, my major was not biological sciences and I petitioned to have it changed. I began taking all biological science courses, but during the winter quarter at my university I ended up failing two of my classes and the school of my original major dismissed me for not following their curriculum. I thought the change had finalized, but I was apparently in a midway double major situation. Anyhow I was dropped from all the courses about 2 weeks into the quarter and stopped attending class. It took a week before I was able to get in touch with the dean of the school I was dismissed from regarding what could be done. I was offered one of two choices which was either to take a withdrawal for the quarter and lose approximately 50% of my registration fees or go through with the dismissal and get a 100% refund for the quarter. In hindsight I should have taken the withdrawal, but I could not afford to pile on an additional $1600 in debt. I was subsequently readmitted for the fall quarter again by the school of biological sciences.

I'm having trouble working this into my PS. I want to talk about the choice I was given and how I ultimately took the dismissal over the withdrawal because I could not afford to pay $1600 for not attending school but I have no written proof to document this. As much as I want to be honest, I'm afraid it just sounds "fake" and it doesn't help I have no documentation of this happening. So should I stick with a saying I was dismissed for failing two classes (even though I passed 3 others with B's and A's)
 
IMO I don't think it matters one iota whether you have any proof - as long as what you write comes off as sincere that's all that matters. Have some other people read over what you write and get their opinion on what they think. I don't think a long drawn out explanation is needed - just a concise statement on what happened, how you resolved it, and how it affected your grades. I think they will appreciate your honesty - good luck!