x

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

from_eden

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you aiming for MD? or are you cool with DO too? 507 would be fine for DO, and the lateness fits in with the later cycle of DO. 507 will be a stretch for MD, which has an average matriculant MCAT of 511. Are you URM? Have you already submitted your primary to a throwaway?

Reactions: 1 user
If the rest of your application is fine, then you could go ahead and apply this cycle. Your letter writers can use the LORs they wrote this year for next cycle if you do decide to postpone.

You'll be late and unless the rest of your app is stellar, MD will be a long shot outside of your state school (which still may be reaching) but you'll be fine for DO.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
so it's September and you haven't even asked your professors for a LOR yet? You do realize that university classes have already started and I'm sure they are being bombarded with Zoom meetings 24/7. You should have asked your professors back in April/May for a LOR. You will be extremely lucky if your professors can even submit their LOR by the end of September. Lucky for you, you don't need your LOR's to submit your application. If you want MD, submit ASAP.

Also, you should have submitted your app a long time ago when you were happy with your FL scores. AMCAS verification is taking about 4+ weeks at this point.

You may have the stats needed for MD but your application will probably be late. However, you will be good for DO school. I mean we can't go back in time but if you were serious about applying this summer, you gotta have all your stuff together man

Hi everyone, I have a question about applying this cycle. I’m scheduled to test in late September and have scored 507 consistently on practice tests (trying to improve these last few weeks left). Other than that I think my application is pretty good though I’m working on improving my essays.

Question 1: Should I wait until next year to be a more competitive applicant? Especially considering that it’s very late in the cycle.

Question 2: Should I ask my professors for a recommendation letter and just tell them my situation? As of now I’m still aiming for this cycle but if I don’t improve on my MCAT and decide to wait until 2021 instead, I wouldn’t want my professors to feel like I wasted their time if I don't end up submitting (since they’d only have a month write it.)

I know I should’ve gotten my stuff together sooner but some things came up and I’m trying to make the best of it. I’d appreciate any advice you’ll have.
At this point, wait. It's Labor Day, you are nowhere (from your post, I'm assuming you are not yet verified and have not submitted secondaries, correct?), and you'll be lucky to get a 510, which just won't distinguish you. You're setting yourself up for a reapplication.

Take a breath, regroup, and start again in January for the next cycle. You should have the MCAT and LORs done before the application opens in May, so that you can know where you are competitive, and be in a position to be early, not late. You can then take your time working on your primary and secondaries, and give yourself the best possible chance to be successful. Good luck!!!

Are you aiming for MD? or are you cool with DO too? 507 would be fine for DO, and the lateness fits in with the later cycle of DO. 507 will be a stretch for MD, which has an average matriculant MCAT of 511. Are you URM? Have you already submitted your primary to a throwaway?

Yup I am URM and applying for MD. Someone told me that it might be worth applying to one or two good schools where I might have a chance. I don't know how much that would negatively affect me if I end up having to apply next cycle though.

I agree, 507 is pretty low but I was thinking the rest of my app could make up for it. I was going to submit the primary now but based on a lot of advice waiting seems like a better option.