This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chrostopherhenandex

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What questions have the other interviewees asked that I missed?

What are the best and worst parts of this job?

Joke answer: “Can you tell Mr. Lincoln my chances?” (Slide a $5er over)

Reactions: 1 user
“I’m curious, what was it about my resume/application that stood out to you?”

It will highlight what they see as your strengths and also let you know what they value out of a future employee. You can then highlight those strengths and values further in the interview.

It will highlight what they see as your strengths and also let you know what they value out of a future employee. You can then highlight those strengths and values further in the interview.

This is one of my least favorite questions to be asked during an interview. It often lowers my opinion of the applicant.

Reactions: 1 users
Can you walk me through what a typical day in this position looks like?

I’m curious, what about that question that stands out to you, that makes it one of your least favorite questions to be asked?

This is one of my least favorite questions to be asked during an interview. It often lowers my opinion of the applicant.

Agree. This is terrible advice. It's an interview not a sales pitch.

If the position you are interviewing for is brand new (i.e., you are not being hired to replace a predecessor), it's important to ask about the impetus for creating the position, how the position is funded, how the position fills an unmet need, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m curious, what about that question that stands out to you, that makes it one of your least favorite questions to be asked?
You should already understand what stands out about your CV and background, especially in the context of the application.
Your CV and cover letter should have been crafted specifically to make certain things about yourself stand out.

Asking the interviewer about it in this manner can convey lots of different things, many of them negative. E.g., that you need reassurance, that you don't really understand the position or organization, etc.

Now, if the organization solicited or headhunted you for the position, it would actually be a good question.

Last edited:
You should already understand what stands out about your CV and background, especially in the context of the application.
Your CV and cover letter should have been crafted specifically to make certain things about yourself stand out.

Asking the interviewer about it in this manner can convey lots of different things, many of them negative. E.g., that you need reassurance, that you don't really underhand the position or organization, etc.

Now, if the organization solicited or headhunted you for the position, it would actually be a good question.

As an aside, there is an equally faulty version of this question from the employer/interviewer side. It is an overly general or vague question that invites the candidate to "sell" himself or herself. The worst version I've heard is an employer asking a candidate "what do you bring to the table?" multiple times during an interview. Bad/careless/uninformed interviewing is a red flag.