Questions!

Started by Erejto1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Erejto1

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is the difference between clinical and non-clinical volunteering?

How do you get involved in research and physician shadowing?
 
Clinical volunteering is exactly what it sounds like 🙂 For instance, my form of clinical volunteering is working as a clinical research assistant in a hospital. Non-clinical volunteering would be something like tutoring children in the afternoons, or helping out at a homeless shelter.

As for research and physician shadowing-- I sort of just went out on a limb and asked. I suppose for me, it was easier because I started volunteering at a hospital and doing some research and I already had some connections. However, I know many of my friends who didn't have the same connections that went out on a limb and asked alumni at their university, or made connections through volunteering. Good luck to you.
 
For shadowing, I would say you can either reach out to ANY sort of connections you may have (doctors typically don't mind some shadowing), or just make cold calls. I lined up some shadowing simply by calling around and hoping for the best. Stick with it.

Research is a little trickier, especially if you're not in school. In fact, if you don't have any research experience and you aren't in school, I think it's in your best interest to check with your alma mater for help. Beyond that, it may be difficult to find something.