quick question on pearson pcat practice tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AntonFreeman

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have purchased 3 sets of pearson practice test for June test. and I was hoping to purchase them more for october test but I am worried that they might be the same ones that I have bought earlier. Do you guys know if they are different from what I have bought from earlier this year?
 
Why bother? I called to asked most of the schools and most no longer required PCAT. I suspect Pearson computerization is to make things more convenience and easier to students since their effective are being null by the admission committee of colleges. Pearson probably try to bite the biggest chunk they can while it last.
 
Why bother? I called to asked most of the schools and most no longer required PCAT. I suspect Pearson computerization is to make things more convenience and easier to students since their effective are being null by the admission committee of colleges. Pearson probably try to bite the biggest chunk they can while it last.

It's a very useful investment. Helped me with pacing and helped further focus my studies. Not to mention it's 'straight from the horses mouth', all the other books, etc are essentially just speculation on what to study.

And honestly, any school that doesn't require the PCAT currently or is going to no longer require it is a joke. It does let admission committees know if an applicant has actually learned anything in college and how much effort they put into studying for the test, so it does have value. Weed outs are good for people who are putting out a constant effort, in my opinion, since it can set them apart.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think they will be getting rid of the PCAT for admissions seeing how getting into pharmacy school is getting more competitive and more difficult. *shrugs* I can be wrong though.
 
I'm currently the President of a Pre Pharmacy club at a large state university and I have the opportunity to talk to a few deans about their schools and admissions and I've yet to hear a word about no longer requiring the pcat... I wish that were true though!
 
Why bother? I called to asked most of the schools and most no longer required PCAT. I suspect Pearson computerization is to make things more convenience and easier to students since their effective are being null by the admission committee of colleges. Pearson probably try to bite the biggest chunk they can while it last.

This sentence is not only grammatically hard to understand, but has no facts behind it other than "I called 'most' schools". So what schools said this exactly? It also costs time and money to convert to a computerized system so I don't really understand why they would invest more money into it now if they suspected that the PCAT was no longer going to be used.
 
This sentence is not only grammatically hard to understand, but has no facts behind it other than "I called 'most' schools". So what schools said this exactly? It also costs time and money to convert to a computerized system so I don't really understand why they would invest more money into it now if they suspected that the PCAT was no longer going to be used.


I find from my application process (I live in NY) unless your going straight from HS most schools require the PCAT and I only see it increasign in use, not the other way around.
 
It's a very useful investment. Helped me with pacing and helped further focus my studies. Not to mention it's 'straight from the horses mouth', all the other books, etc are essentially just speculation on what to study.

And honestly, any school that doesn't require the PCAT currently or is going to no longer require it is a joke. It does let admission committees know if an applicant has actually learned anything in college and how much effort they put into studying for the test, so it does have value. Weed outs are good for people who are putting out a constant effort, in my opinion, since it can set them apart.

The purpose of PCAT is to predict how students will perform academically in pharmacy school. Study after study have revealed that PCAT does a horrible job at predicting student performance in pharmacy school. That's why some schools are beginning to reject it and the trend will only continue as long at person don't reconfigure their test to better predict student performance though it might take some time.
 
The purpose of PCAT is to predict how students will perform academically in pharmacy school. Study after study have revealed that PCAT does a horrible job at predicting student performance in pharmacy school. That's why some schools are beginning to reject it and the trend will only continue as long at person don't reconfigure their test to better predict student performance though it might take some time.

Okay, I understand Touro-NY is dropping the PCAT requirement. As far as I'm concerned, it's to align themselves to Touro-CA. Can I ask however, where you are getting your statistics and studies? I'd like to know where it states that the trend is going to continue, and which schools are following this trend.

And personally, I disagree. I don't think the PCAT is solely to show how you may perform in pharmacy school. I actually think it's more of an exam to see how much you actually learned from your undergrad studies. Seriously though, the PCAT isn't a hard exam. It may not be a perfect indicator but honestly, if you can't do decently on it, I'd be a little wary of your knowledge and basic foundation in your sciences.
 
The purpose of PCAT is to predict how students will perform academically in pharmacy school. Study after study have revealed that PCAT does a horrible job at predicting student performance in pharmacy school. That's why some schools are beginning to reject it and the trend will only continue as long at person don't reconfigure their test to better predict student performance though it might take some time.
where do you get this from? I read on a research that it is a good indicator.
 
Most schools should require the PCAT. That way schools can compare to other students better. They would have a standard (PCAT) to refer to