Quick question on pharm tech certification

Started by willrocks
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

willrocks

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I recently obtained a job as a pharmacy technician at an independent pharmacy and would like to state on my pharmCAS that I will be tech certified by the end of the fall. My question is: what is the process for becoming tech certified (in MA and nationally)? Do I just need to work 500 hours as a technician and then pass the exam, or is there coursework required or anything additional required?

Thanks a lot,
Will
 
Hello,

I recently obtained a job as a pharmacy technician at an independent pharmacy and would like to state on my pharmCAS that I will be tech certified by the end of the fall. My question is: what is the process for becoming tech certified (in MA and nationally)? Do I just need to work 500 hours as a technician and then pass the exam, or is there coursework required or anything additional required?

Thanks a lot,
Will

Wow, where's that dead horse icon...

oh, yeah. :beat:

You go to ptcb.org, you pay $129. go to a PearsonVUE location they let you choose from, take the easiest frakkin' test you'll ever sit for in your entire pharmacy career, and 45 minutes later (if that) you'll get a "YOU PASSED LOLZOMG" message, then you can apply to your state's board of pharmacy. Every state's different, so check out MA's Board of Pharmacy. It's Google-able. The PTCE you take is your national certification inherently. Every state's wildly different. In CA, we have to do everything short of enclose a god damn stool sample to get our actual license.

IF MA requires 500 hours and a course, then disregard everything I said, LOL. MOST states are not like that, from my exp.
 
Wow, where's that dead horse icon...

In CA, we have to do everything short of enclose a god damn stool sample to get our actual license.
.

I know this is an old thread, but this one line just made my day 🙂

As someone who has to take the PTCB in 2 days, I needed that.
 
Wow, where's that dead horse icon...

oh, yeah. :beat:

You go to ptcb.org, you pay $129. go to a PearsonVUE location they let you choose from, take the easiest frakkin' test you'll ever sit for in your entire pharmacy career, and 45 minutes later (if that) you'll get a "YOU PASSED LOLZOMG" message, then you can apply to your state's board of pharmacy. Every state's different, so check out MA's Board of Pharmacy. It's Google-able. The PTCE you take is your national certification inherently. Every state's wildly different. In CA, we have to do everything short of enclose a god damn stool sample to get our actual license.

IF MA requires 500 hours and a course, then disregard everything I said, LOL. MOST states are not like that, from my exp.
Couldn't have said it better myself. 😀