This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need to pay it to the government; you just have to have that much in your account when you go over to prove you'll be able to buy your way outta there if need be.

I had a screenshot of my bank account balance, and I went...

If only I had 3k in my bank account.... :sorry:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Soon enough :)

1fzlx2.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the tips everyone! Where I work, sick days, vacation days (and even personal days) are all counted differently and accumulate in different rates in my time sheet. This definitely helped for interviews haha and I don't think it's like this everywhere too. My GF for instance only gets 1 kind of PTO and she would need to use this for when she's sick and if she's going on vacation.

I looked into my company's policy and it does say that we should get a payout for the accumulated vacation days. The details for how much I actually get (whether it's full payment or less $/hr rate) I don't know yet. Plus coz I work in academic lab and all this money is coming off someone's grant, I feel like someone's gonna try to weasel his/her out of paying for this. Gotta talk to HR about this more in detail.

I think sick and vacation days are different things everywhere, by law it is two separate things. It isn't unethical to use your vacation days or to take a pay out if it's available/allowed. Sometimes a pay out of accrued days (especially if you have rollover permitted) is a little less than what would be paid per hour in just taking vacation.

Vacation days usually get paid out regardless. They may be taxed differently.

I'm not sure about your workplace, but that is standard where I work. People take their several weeks of vacation after they've unofficially left , and then come in for their official "last day" at work. HR is very upfront in telling us that is the only way to leave without losing all that saved up PTO (because for some reason they aren't allowed to just pay it out in your last paycheck)

Definitely quitting by March 1st at the latest...Mid-Feb would be the responsible date, but might just yolo quit February 1st! Sooooo excited!

I would like to hike the Appalachian Trail, and timing-wise I would need to start early March to have enough time before school starts potentially as early as mid-July depending on where I get in. My top choices don't release decisions until March so I won't even know for sure where I'm going yet when I leave!

A 4-month Thruhike is possible if you travel light and bust ass, plus You could always hike as much of it as you can.

I thru'd during my gap year in 2014 and am sad that I won't be able to do something like that again for a long time.

Reactions: 1 users
A 4-month Thruhike is possible if you travel light and bust ass, plus You could always hike as much of it as you can.

I thru'd during my gap year in 2014 and am sad that I won't be able to do something like that again for a long time.

I've been buying allll the cuben gear... My base weight is down to around 12 pounds for an early March start, could be under 10 after sending home cold weather gear. I've done shorter hikes with multiple 25+ mile days back to back, but for a 4-month thru I'd need to keep that pace up.... for 4 months... Also I'll be hitting New England at the height of bug season if all goes according to plan, so we'll see what that does to my motivation. Will have to play it by ear.

Just really hoping that I can make this happen while also taking care of packing up all my stuff, selling a house, getting medical school prereq's taken care of, getting application/matriculation paperwork / financial aid stuff / immunizations sorted out, living situation at school sorted out, etc etc etc...

Wow 4 months of hiking? What do you guys eat??

Thanks for the tips everyone! Where I work, sick days, vacation days (and even personal days) are all counted differently and accumulate in different rates in my time sheet. This definitely helped for interviews haha and I don't think it's like this everywhere too. My GF for instance only gets 1 kind of PTO and she would need to use this for when she's sick and if she's going on vacation.

I looked into my company's policy and it does say that we should get a payout for the accumulated vacation days. The details for how much I actually get (whether it's full payment or less $/hr rate) I don't know yet. Plus coz I work in academic lab and all this money is coming off someone's grant, I feel like someone's gonna try to weasel his/her out of paying for this. Gotta talk to HR about this more in detail.

I work in a university lab as well, and I'm paid through a grant. The person who had my position before me received the full hourly rate for all the PTO he didn't take while working. Hope the same works for you!

I've been buying allll the cuben gear... My base weight is down to around 12 pounds for an early March start, could be under 10 after sending home cold weather gear. I've done shorter hikes with multiple 25+ mile days back to back, but for a 4-month thru I'd need to keep that pace up.... for 4 months... Also I'll be hitting New England at the height of bug season if all goes according to plan, so we'll see what that does to my motivation. Will have to play it by ear.

Just really hoping that I can make this happen while also taking care of packing up all my stuff, selling a house, getting medical school prereq's taken care of, getting application/matriculation paperwork / financial aid stuff / immunizations sorted out, living situation at school sorted out, etc etc etc...
I hiked the Appalachian trail... 500 feet of it on a college campus in NE. :whistle:. You guys are intense. I wish I was that intense.

Wow 4 months of hiking? What do you guys eat??

Mostly Snickers, peanut M+M's, protein bars, Knorr pasta sides with tuna packets and olive oil:biglove: Gotta meet those macros.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work in a university lab as well, and I'm paid through a grant. The person who had my position before me received the full hourly rate for all the PTO he didn't take while working. Hope the same works for you!
But don't you lose out on the medical insurance earlier? I feel like it seems more advantageous to take the time off officially while still having the insurance/benefits from the company, then quit when it's all used up.

I hiked the Appalachian trail... 500 feet of it on a college campus in NE. :whistle:. You guys are intense. I wish I was that intense.

I'm guessing Dartmouth? Haha. I fell in love in NH

I'm guessing Dartmouth? Haha. I fell in love in NH

I would have such a hard time turning down Geisel if they accepted me. Went for the interview and saw faculty wearing trail runners and suits, saw people walking around campus wearing Marmot and Montbell jackets. I was like these are my people!

But don't you lose out on the medical insurance earlier? I feel like it seems more advantageous to take the time off officially while still having the insurance/benefits from the company, then quit when it's all used up.

Oh good point. I don't get insurance/benefits through my work, but if I did, that would seem like a more reasonable option.

No acceptance yet, but with 3 ii, I'm hoping for one soon :( I started this volunteer position last year that I really enjoyed at first and thought it was a nice addition to my AMCAS app. Now I don't enjoy it as much anymore and it's taking up a lot of my time, but if I quit now and end up not getting in this year, I think schools would view me as having done this volunteering only for my app. Sighhh

Oh wow that's actually a very good point! I'll need to look into that as well because I get my health insurance through work and I wouldn't be able to get insurance through my parents because I would be too old.

I would have such a hard time turning down Geisel if they accepted me. Went for the interview and saw faculty wearing trail runners and suits, saw people walking around campus wearing Marmot and Montbell jackets. I was like these are my people!
Subaru's, Patagonia Vests, and cross country skiing is mandated by law.

Knowing my luck, I'll die of dysentery on the way
you are confusing this for the Oregon trail. Probably bear attack, or coyotes on the App trail. Giardia is a risk as well.

Reactions: 2 users
That actually sounds like my personal hell. Glad you like it though and hope you get in.

Reactions: 3 users
my jobs been giving me a lot of reasons to want to quit lately. idk if i'm gonna make it until June

you are confusing this for the Oregon trail. Probably bear attack, or coyotes on the App trail. Giardia is a risk as well.

I wasn't confused. Just making a joke lol

my jobs been giving me a lot of reasons to want to quit lately. idk if i'm gonna make it until June
I don't know if I'll make it to January...

Reactions: 2 users
Subaru's, Patagonia Vests, and cross country skiing is mandated by law.
Ahh yes when I interviewed at Colorado and their class gear was Patagonia I was so pleased.

protip: Now that we are accepted to med schools, we can charge a lot more for tutoring undergrad students. You can make 50 bucks per hr easily

I don't know if I'll make it to January...
Preach. My original plan was July and now I'm not sure if I'll still be there come Christmas.

Flyers on campus, Facebook groups, word of mouth etc.

Just don't work for a tutoring company who will steal most of your pay for setting you up with a client

Ah. I'm not an outdoors person so I thought you were serious
I am such an indoors person, I would be happy in a sensory deprevation tank and an internet connection.

protip: Now that we are accepted to med schools, we can charge a lot more for tutoring undergrad students. You can make 50 bucks per hr easily
I actually charged 45 back in the day when I did it. Didn't even have the MCAT under my belt.

Were you alone?

I am such an indoors person, I would be happy in a sensory deprevation tank and an internet connection.

and a cell phone/laptop. otherwise that internet is useless

jesus $50?? I'll quit my job tomorrow haha

I actually charged 45 back in the day when I did it. Didn't even have the MCAT under my belt.
Where? I should really just quit my job and do this.

Where? I should really just quit my job and do this.
Stole clients from my tutoring center and gave them a deal. That boys and girls is why you make your new hires sign non-competes.

Stole clients from my tutoring center and gave them a deal. That boys and girls is why you make your new hires sign non-competes.
How much did the tutoring center pay you ?

When you're failing orgo/physics, 45 bucks to pass an exam doesn't seem a bad deal.

When you're failing orgo/physics, 45 bucks to pass an exam doesn't seem a bad deal.
its not like an hour of tutoring is going to get you to pass that either.

That's genius. The tutoring center I worked at on campus paid me 10/hr so if I was able to make $45 that would be life changing haha

have any of you guys done MCAT tutoring?

its not like an hour of tutoring is going to get you to pass that either.
TBF I saved a lot of students from F's on exams/finals and got them to score C's/B's. I was actually really good at tutoring for some reason.

That's genius. The tutoring center I worked at on campus paid me 10/hr so if I was able to make $45 that would be life changing haha
thats 90K a year Fulltime.

Status
Not open for further replies.