This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squad532

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Agreeing that probably the best impact for your time would be scribing, but other clinical-based patient-facing experiences matter too. But you can get paid for scribing.

Free clinic/low-income clinic volunteering is also very desirable, especially for a long-term commitment, as long as you do a lot with patients. You could do some financial volunteering in keeping the ledgers, but those experiences need to come second to patient-facing experiences. They are in need during COVID-19 so there may be some challenges to doing things with patients directly.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think working at something on the intersection of finance/healthcare would be good because it'll tie your story together. But you'll definitely have to do something clinical on the side too to build up your experience

Otherwise scribe + research on the side is another good option.

Reactions: 1 user
If you must quit your lucrative banking job, transition into something both finance and healthcare related.

There are plenty of medical schools where research is not the mission of the school, don't worry about it. Better off simply doing clinical volunteering on the side while you work a regular job that pays you a living wage.

I had to live with my parents while working a research job because it truly didn't pay enough...wouldn't want to do that again ever.

Best of luck. Please don't walk away from the banking job though without having a good paying job on which you can comfortably support yourself while also volunteering on the side.

If you must quit your lucrative banking job, transition into something both finance and healthcare related.

There are plenty of medical schools where research is not the mission of the school, don't worry about it. Better off simply doing clinical volunteering on the side while you work a regular job that pays you a living wage.

I had to live with my parents while working a research job because it truly didn't pay enough...wouldn't want to do that again ever.

Best of luck. Please don't walk away from the banking job though without having a good paying job on which you can comfortably support yourself while also volunteering on the side.
Appreciate the advice. I am fortunate to have saved up enough to live on minimum wage without a problem. I would rather keep more of my savings and take out less debt for school, but if I am switching careers I want to set myself up as best as possible to get in.

Focusing more on how I look to adcoms, do you think the scribing route would be better if I made the below additions to my app over a year and a half?

3000 clinical hours scribing
600 split between clinical volunteering/non-clinical volunteering/research
vs
3000 finance/healthcare intersection
500 clinical volunteering
100 non-clinical volunteering

Here's how I'm thinking about it: if you don't get into medical school, what type of career will scribing set you up for?

I get that you want to put your best foot forward to admissions committees. I'm not on one so I'll let someone who is answer that. Best of luck.

Appreciate the advice. I am fortunate to have saved up enough to live on minimum wage without a problem. I would rather keep more of my savings and take out less debt for school, but if I am switching careers I want to set myself up as best as possible to get in.

Focusing more on how I look to adcoms, do you think the scribing route would be better if I made the below additions to my app over a year and a half?

vs

Option 2 sounds more interesting to me. But both are good. If you're scribing I don't see the point in clinical volunteering for application purposes unless you just want to.

vs
I think either plan that you laid out is perfectly viable. I did something similar to your option #2. I worked in management consulting before med school. When I decided to go to school, I stayed in consulting, but switched to a more healthcare related branch of consulting. My experiences in this field were actually very helpful for my application and gave me a much more complete view of the healthcare field. I did 8 hours clinical volunteering + 4 hours non-clinical volunteering per week on the weekends (~500 hours clinical + ~250 non-clinical volunteer hours total.)