Radiation oncology for FMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamaicacarioca

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen where there has been a huge decline in applicants for radiation oncology. How much of a chance do I have to match in radiation oncology? I cleared all 3 steps on the first try and I have been working in a surgical specialty with a huge cancer load for the past 7 years. I graduated almost 10 years ago.

Members don't see this ad.

As my chairman would say come on board. We Were basically told we have to match “anybody” with a pulse. An attending appeared physically ill at the thought of a dearth of a lukewarm hand writing their notes and “research”. This is the reality of the field now. The question is why would you want to? When i went to yellowstone i saw a hot geiser. It was a beautiful one. I could have jumped in and gotten 3rd degree burns all over my arse but i did not. Why do you want to jump in? There are other pretty things in this world to see.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree, excellent chance, with the caveat - have you been working as a doctor for the last 7 years in that surgical specialty or in a research/non-clinical position? That's the only wrinkle I could see, if you've been out of clinical medicine for 7-10 years. Even then, if you apply to every program...you'd probably match. Not sure what your end goal would be though, unless you were then willing to take a RadOnc job anywhere in the country.

As my chairman would say come on board. We Were basically told we have to match “anybody” with a pulse. An attending appeared physically ill at the thought of a dearth of a lukewarm hand writing their notes and “research”. This is the reality of the field now. The question is why would you want to? When i went to yellowstone i saw a hot geiser. It was a beautiful one. I could have jumped in and gotten 3rd degree burns all over my arse but i did not. Why do you want to jump in? There are other pretty things in this world to see.
I live in a pretty violent third world country. I would love a chance to go the US, also there are no radiation oncologists in my country.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree, excellent chance, with the caveat - have you been working as a doctor for the last 7 years in that surgical specialty or in a research/non-clinical position? That's the only wrinkle I could see, if you've been out of clinical medicine for 7-10 years. Even then, if you apply to every program...you'd probably match. Not sure what your end goal would be though, unless you were then willing to take a RadOnc job anywhere in the country.
I have been in a full time clinical position since I graduated, no breaks. I am willing to relocate anywhere in the US.

Don't know if the case everywhere but some places will want you to have had a rotation in RadOnc (maybe it has to be in the US?). Send some emails to program coordinators and see if they have requirement like this before spending a lot of money on ERAS.

I live in a pretty violent third world country. I would love a chance to go the US, also there are no radiation oncologists in my country.
I agree with emailing some departments to try to get a rotation or two, if at all possible. Otherwise, RadOnc would be your best bet to get into an ACGME-accredited program right now, and it's worth pursuing, given your reasoning.

I've seen where there has been a huge decline in applicants for radiation oncology. How much of a chance do I have to match in radiation oncology? I cleared all 3 steps on the first try and I have been working in a surgical specialty with a huge cancer load for the past 7 years. I graduated almost 10 years ago.
but you likely wont get a job when you graduate because the job market will be so horrible? radonc would be my last choice if I were you for residency vs primary care etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Why radiation oncology and not family medicine? I can not comprehend someone coming to the US to spend 5 years training without a good chance of having a job afterward.... and furthermore not being able to go back to your home country to practice. I guess you could start the first clinic, which would be pretty cool, but that's assuming it would be financially viable with the capital investment.

Do psych or fp imo. Maybe rads if you want to really reach

I know you will most likely brush off our concerns like a bunch of misanthropes.... so take it from someone who's already been there:

Reactions: 2 users