This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted981256

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a solid plan. Applying to so few schools increases the odds of being a reapplication, especially considering the schools you are applying to. But you have your eyes wide open to this possibility. At the end of the day you have to make the best choice for you and your family and if that means applying to two schools and being open to reapplying down the line, go for it. n = 1 but I applied to one school for similar reasons and it worked out. Best of luck to you!

Per your question, you would only be a reapplicant at schools that you previously applied to so Stanford and UCSF. You would be considered a first time applicant at other schools.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I did a similar ill-advised thing with a few NYC schools. Got rejected. Then was finally successful on my third cycle overall (second "real" cycle with a normal number of schools). It was embarrassing, during my final successful cycle, to tell people that this was actually my third round, but I don't think it hurt me.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's reasonable to apply, as you seem competitive for Stanford and UCSF.

I'm sympathetic to the challenges of pursuing medical training in the Bay Area, as I went through a similar situation (applying only to Bay Area programs) several years ago for residency match and just went through it again for fellowship match. Still, it does work out for some people, and hopefully you will be one of them. My only recommendation is to also consider applying to UC Davis, as it's a great school and Sacramento is at the outer limit of commuting distance from the Bay Area.

Strictly in terms of admissions it’s a bad plan

But life is more complicated than that and you seem to understand the opportunity cost of changing things for your fiance. I wish you good luck with it

Reactions: 1 user
Your MCAT will be the deciding factor. If you get a 505 you should wait to apply more broadly (or only apply Touro CA), if you get a 515+ you can apply to the 2 MD schools.

Could you apply early decision to one school to boost your chances?

My friend got into Stanford, but she also had a 520 MCAT and I believe applied to at least 20 schools. I think it would be risky, but if you’re willing to be a reapplicant then you could go for it, but every year you delay is $X100k in salary and deferred retirement. As far as Touro you can look up their match list which has been pretty excellent in past years, as long as you do well in school, you will match whether that is MD/DO. Half of the docs I work with are DO and this is at a level 1 trauma children’s hospital.