Re-applicant Personal Statement/Application Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I'm currently in the process of re-applying to medical schools (last time I applied was Summer 2017). Would it hurt me if I used the exact same personal statement that I used last time I applied? It's not like my reasoning for why I want to become a physician has changed at all, and personally I think the story that I told in that essay is very compelling. After having done a 1-year Master's program this past year, I'm just finding it really difficult to incorporate my experience in that program into this essay without completely restructuring/rewriting the essay.

Also, I read somewhere that if I am a re-applicant, it would be a good idea to change the descriptions(?) of the Work/Activities sections of the application...is there any truth to this?

Appreciate any advice I can get! Thanks everyone!
 
For the personal statement, I would advise making some edits to reflect any new insights gained over the past year that has strengthened your desire to pursue medicine. Similarly, a quick edit updating your ongoing activities is fine. For activities in which nothing has changed (which is typically the case for activities that have already ended even before the first application), making no changes is perfectly okay. Good luck