Reapplicant Advice

Started by Hcook1996
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hcook1996

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone! I am a reapplicant this year and I read somewhere that most ADCOMS prefer if you take a year before reapplying. However, I had some improvements this year and wanted advice as to whether I should wait or not. (for Texas MDs).

Old Stats:
cgpa: 3.56
sgpa: 3.39
MCAT: 507

New stats:
cgpa: 3.63
sgpa: 3.47
MCAT: 515
*+115 hours at a homeless clinic (on top of my previous shadowing experience)
*Currently enrolled in a SMP for this year
* became a Physics 2 SI on top of previous peer tutoring experience.

I also am really struggling with writing my personal statement if anyone wouldn't mind giving me some advice. During the time that I was working on strengthening my application my mother being diagnosed with Stage 3 C ovarian cancer. At first I had no idea how I was going to take courses, retake the MCAT, and help my mother. However, I was able to persevere. I already had a very personal reason for my motivation to pursue medicine before and now if I add my mother getting cancer I am worried that it will sound as if I am asking for sympathy. I would appreciate any advice y'all have on any of these things!
 
Hello everyone! I am a reapplicant this year and I read somewhere that most ADCOMS prefer if you take a year before reapplying. However, I had some improvements this year and wanted advice as to whether I should wait or not. (for Texas MDs).

Old Stats:
cgpa: 3.56
sgpa: 3.39
MCAT: 507

New stats:
cgpa: 3.63
sgpa: 3.47
MCAT: 515
*+115 hours at a homeless clinic (on top of my previous shadowing experience)
*Currently enrolled in a SMP for this year
* became a Physics 2 SI on top of previous peer tutoring experience.

I also am really struggling with writing my personal statement if anyone wouldn't mind giving me some advice. During the time that I was working on strengthening my application my mother being diagnosed with Stage 3 C ovarian cancer. At first I had no idea how I was going to take courses, retake the MCAT, and help my mother. However, I was able to persevere. I already had a very personal reason for my motivation to pursue medicine before and now if I add my mother getting cancer I am worried that it will sound as if I am asking for sympathy. I would appreciate any advice y'all have on any of these things!

Currently in a SMP--not seeing a grad gpa, so assuming you're about to start? Honestly fairly confident anyone over 3.5 doesn't need a SMP, especially in Tx. ECs and clinical exp seem like a MUCH bigger need for you (assuming you've listed everything here). Seriously, drop the SMP--big risk, and not much reward for your current situation.
 
Hello everyone! I am a reapplicant this year and I read somewhere that most ADCOMS prefer if you take a year before reapplying. However, I had some improvements this year and wanted advice as to whether I should wait or not. (for Texas MDs).

Old Stats:
cgpa: 3.56
sgpa: 3.39
MCAT: 507

New stats:
cgpa: 3.63
sgpa: 3.47
MCAT: 515
*+115 hours at a homeless clinic (on top of my previous shadowing experience)
*Currently enrolled in a SMP for this year
* became a Physics 2 SI on top of previous peer tutoring experience.

I also am really struggling with writing my personal statement if anyone wouldn't mind giving me some advice. During the time that I was working on strengthening my application my mother being diagnosed with Stage 3 C ovarian cancer. At first I had no idea how I was going to take courses, retake the MCAT, and help my mother. However, I was able to persevere. I already had a very personal reason for my motivation to pursue medicine before and now if I add my mother getting cancer I am worried that it will sound as if I am asking for sympathy. I would appreciate any advice y'all have on any of these things!


I'd love to look at your personal statement! I have a writing minor, and I'm well-versed in grammar, word choice, etc. Feel free to PM me! Also are you looking to go MD, DO, or both? 😀