Apr 9, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You have 3 IIs with high stats and high WARS. WL is the new norm for this cycle. Plus, you are a TN resident, doesn't UTHSC have a ridiculously slow cycle?

I would wait until March 1 before seriously considering a reapplication.

About the Ads

ChemEtoMD23

Can theoretically manufacture plastic
Oct 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You have 3 IIs with high stats and high WARS. WL is the new norm for this cycle. Plus, you are a TN resident, doesn't UTHSC have a ridiculously slow cycle?

I would wait until March 1 before seriously considering a reapplication.
Thanks for the encouragement! But I didn’t actually apply to UTHSC this cycle for a private reason (though I will apply there next cycle). Although it may be a bit early to start planning a reapplication, I’d like to be proactive, especially if I decide to take two years and make one of them a research year. If I decide to do this, then I will likely need to start sending out applications for research positions soon.

Apr 9, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Thanks for the encouragement! But I didn’t actually apply to UTHSC this cycle for a private reason (though I will apply there next cycle). Although it may be a bit early to start planning a reapplication, I’d like to be proactive, especially if I decide to take two years and make one of them a research year. If I decide to do this, then I will likely need to start sending out applications for research positions soon.

Well. WL at WVU is a bit sketchy cause they massively overinterview OOS. ETSU is very much possible, can consider Intent letter if Bassett fails.

Even if you have an aversion to UTHSC, applying to all state MDs is the #1 advice for any list. As much as I severely don't like NEOMED in OH, I applied anyways cause at the end of the day, it's an MD.

Reactions: 1 user
Aug 25, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I think you would be fine, if you are able to bump your clinical volunteering up just a little more (60 hrs) I think that would be good. I think since you are a traditional applicant clinical work is not as expected and that you have a very strong app. I would also say that we are both in the same shoe with active holds at the same school. I have noticed from the school thread that no one with an active hold who interviewed later than October 13th has heard back yet (at least, I think). I believe there's still a good chance for the both of us, at least, I hope so. GL with your application, and hopefully, we will hear back soon.

ChemEtoMD23

Oct 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I think you would be fine, if you are able to bump your clinical volunteering up just a little more (60 hrs) I think that would be good. I think since you are a traditional applicant clinical work is not as expected and that you have a very strong app. I would also say that we are both in the same shoe with active holds at the same school. I have noticed from the school thread that no one with an active hold who interviewed later than October 13th has heard back yet (at least, I think). I believe there's still a good chance for the both of us, at least, I hope so. GL with your application, and hopefully, we will hear back soon.
Thanks for your input! I wish that I had been able to get some more clinical volunteering hours over the past several months, but COVID messed with those plans :(. Hopefully I’ll be able to return to work soon.

Also, I hadn’t noticed that no one who interviewed later than October 13th has heard back yet; hopefully that does bode well for us! Good luck to you as well, and I hope you hear back with good news soon too.

P.S.
I’ve been curious for a while now about where you got the inspiration for your screen name. Every time I read it, I think of Star Wars because of Obi-Wan Kenobi’s “hello there” line in Episode III, and I’m also reminded of the Halo franchise because of the “117” (Master Chief’s numeric SPARTAN-II designation). Any connections, or just coincidence? lol

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Yeah, COVID has messed with many plans; if you are in TN, maybe look into RAM. They still run operations, and I always enjoy my time there and have been asked about it several times in interviews. I have also heard from my VA that they are still taking volunteers, which may be another avenue. Both have been super risky to me for contracting COVID, in my opinion, so I've taken a bit of a break till, hopefully, the vaccination efforts perform better and I have just been beefing up my research, non-clinical, and teaching/leadership experiences.

As for the active holds, I've been constantly checking the times of interviews for acceptances since it seems to me pretty much anyone who had an active hold from an October interview date eventually got accepted. So I do think there's still an excellent chance, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the both of us.

The very first game I played on the Xbox 360 was Halo 3 and the final memorial scene has always been etched in my head. Where the wing of the flight craft Chief and Arbiter used to escape in has a bunch of pictures on it with a sole number of 117 carved into the frame. After 3.5 games of Halo and all that happens in that time it's just very memorable to me. The "Hello There" is definitely from Star Wars and it could be either from A New Hope or from Revenge of the Sith. Star Wars is another epic that's one of my favs. Lord of the Rings is another and I have that represented by my signature.

ChemEtoMD23

Oct 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Yeah, COVID has messed with many plans; if you are in TN, maybe look into RAM. They still run operations, and I always enjoy my time there and have been asked about it several times in interviews. I have also heard from my VA that they are still taking volunteers, which may be another avenue. Both have been super risky to me for contracting COVID, in my opinion, so I've taken a bit of a break till, hopefully, the vaccination efforts perform better and I have just been beefing up my research, non-clinical, and teaching/leadership experiences.

As for the active holds, I've been constantly checking the times of interviews for acceptances since it seems to me pretty much anyone who had an active hold from an October interview date eventually got accepted. So I do think there's still an excellent chance, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the both of us.

The very first game I played on the Xbox 360 was Halo 3 and the final memorial scene has always been etched in my head. Where the wing of the flight craft Chief and Arbiter used to escape in has a bunch of pictures on it with a sole number of 117 carved into the frame. After 3.5 games of Halo and all that happens in that time it's just very memorable to me. The "Hello There" is definitely from Star Wars and it could be either from A New Hope or from Revenge of the Sith. Star Wars is another epic that's one of my favs. Lord of the Rings is another and I have that represented by my signature.
Thanks for the advice! I’ll look into RAM or my local VA and see how I can get involved.

And I also have very fond memories of Halo, especially Halo 3. That was the first online multiplayer game I really got into, and I spent many hours playing that game with my friends in middle school lol.

candbgirl

15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
I’m just amazed you haven’t been accepted but you still have three chances. So hold on to hope. The cycle is ridiculously long and frustrating. Your app looks good. I agree you could use a bit more clinical experience and maybe nonclinical volunteering. I’m a big fan of volunteering the VA. Those people/patients/heros have so much to share . But I don’t think that’s what’s holding you back. In fact nothing on your app is holding you back. You have three interviews. That’s three more than lots of people. It’s hard waiting but as lots of people on SDN advise, until you have that A, consider yourself rejected. Good luck, hang on and let us know when you get that,A

ChemEtoMD23

Oct 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I’m just amazed you haven’t been accepted but you still have three chances. So hold on to hope. The cycle is ridiculously long and frustrating. Your app looks good. I agree you could use a bit more clinical experience and maybe nonclinical volunteering. I’m a big fan of volunteering the VA. Those people/patients/heros have so much to share . But I don’t think that’s what’s holding you back. In fact nothing on your app is holding you back. You have three interviews. That’s three more than lots of people. It’s hard waiting but as lots of people on SDN advise, until you have that A, consider yourself rejected. Good luck, hang on and let us know when you get that,A
Thanks so much for taking the time to read that lengthy post and give feedback! I will continue to hold on to hope, and I will post back here if/when I do get an A :).

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
The 3 invitations aren't bad considering your interest in rural medicine. Many of the top brands schools on your list may not have the same support for your interests. Focus on the interviews you have.

Reactions: 1 users

ChemEtoMD23

Oct 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
The 3 invitations aren't bad considering your interest in rural medicine. Many of the top brands schools on your list may not have the same support for your interests. Focus on the interviews you have.
Thank you for your response! I didn’t realize that mentioning my interest in rural medicine could make me a less attractive candidate to highly ranked schools. Should I have to reapply, I will more carefully consider the schools on my list.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads