Regarding some career advice

Started by cmz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cmz

Pathology Wannabe
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought I'd present this scenario to you guys since many of you have considered or are considering going into biomedical research with both an MD and a PhD degree:

I have completed two years of medical school already with the intention to "try my hand" at a year of dedicated research (something I did not get to do while in college since all of my bench research jobs were part time during the school year and full time during the summers). I did just that last year after being awarded a very generous/prestigious fellowship.

Early into my research year I realized that I would very much like to go into academia and at least have a hint of research in my daily life (I guess, as evidenced by me wanting to go into academia...). As the year progressed, I piled on one success after another... things began to snowball, and I became very interested at this point in undertaking the next logical step for me: to pursue a PhD along with my MD. I never intended to set aside a significant amount of time towards maintaining a lab since my passion is to stay/work in the clinic (perhaps 80% clinic/20% research). I am very interested in translation research...

Nevertheless, I got into the PhD program at my school and as the year progressed I began to doubt many of the reasons why I joined. I know in the US an MD is just as useful as a PhD in performing research (although the training is night and day...), however getting funding for a project is rather difficult if you only have an MD. I suspect if you're an MD with a decent publication track record (say, post-residency, into your fellowship/postdoc phase of your career), the opportunity for funding should be significantly better. Right now I am grapling with the prospect of spending another 3 to 4 years in graduate school to obtain the training I need or if I should just return to medical school and finish as quickly as possible -- go to residency -- pursue a fellowship and then do a three year post-doc somewhere and finish my training (and hopefully get some good publications).

I think you can make a sound arguement one way or the other... but I would like to hear everyone's input about this process...