Remedial Post bac

Started by christigmc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

christigmc

Anxiously waiting
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I need a post bac program that is remedial. You those where you didn't do very well in school so they help you repair your GPA and MCAT score.
I was jsut wondering, I retook one of my bio classes in college. I did much better but not great. How much is that going to affect my application?
 
Post-bac programs can bump up poor UG work, because they count as UG.
SMP, I believe, counts as grad work.

As perrotfish said, it depends on what you've already done, because some SMPs may not allow you to take pre-reqs over if you have already done them (and I'm assuming you have since you took the MCATs). On the other hand, post-bacs are primarily for people who haven't taken pre-reqs yet (or too many of them), and haven't taken the MCATs yet. Although I understand there are some that allow you to 'bump up' the pre-existing UG record. I'd look for this kind of post-bac if I were you. Also, consider doing it informally.

I don't know of any other way to repair a poor MCAT but to retake it. They may average the grades, or take the higher. I don't know how it works. 😕

Lastly, the whole 'remedial' thing is a little confusing to me. I mean, I suppose for someone with a PhD in biophysics, pre-med reqs ARE remedial. For people with BA's, and this is the average post-bac student, it's just an unfamiliar field of study. From what I understand, you will need the bare minimum of pre-reqs to make it through the MCATs successfully (and I've heard it would be beneficial to do more), so I don't understand why you'd want a 'remedial' course when I won't help you be successful in the MCATs.

Feel free to correct me if I've gotten anything wrong. Hope it helps.