Reporting PCAT Scores

Started by corneliac
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

corneliac

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I'm in the process of applying to PharmD schools. I do have a question regarding the PCAT score submission to schools. If the school's deadline is Febuary 1st, would taking the PCAT on January 19th be too late? I've tried asking the school but I can't seem to get a satisfactory answer. They keep referring me back to the PharmCAS website and I'm having difficult finding an answer to my question.

Please help!
 
i would say that would be too late... it takes anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks to get your PCAT scores, either way it wouldn't get there by Feb.1st. sorry man! take the October PCAT coming up!
 
The school said that? Wow...somebody in the admissions office needs to be helpful.:scared:

Though there are select schools with later deadlines that accept the January PCAT from the same year of desired matriculation, most schools consider such a date to be too late. Your scores won't reach the schools until at least five weeks after you take it, which would be way past the deadline. Even if your school is willing to take that PCAT, rolling admissions schools probably will be too competitive by then and you'll have slightly increased competition for interview slots even for non-rolling admissions schools. It's better to take the PCAT on or before the October PCAT date that immediately precedes the year you want to start pharmacy school.
 
Yes, it's pretty ridiculous huh?! I would take the PCAT in October but I don't think I'm ready for it. =( I graduated with a BS degree in Biochem and am now deciding that I want to get my PharmD degree and not an MD degree. BIG CHANGE! I guess I'll just try emailing the school again and hope for a yes or a no.

Do you know why there are not many PharmD schools out there? Does anyone know if St. John's University is accepting transfer students for Fall 2008? I've tried calling the school but they're switching me back and forth betweent the admissions office and the pharmacy dept. OY!

Also, does it really matter where you go to obtain your Pharm.D degree? I'm in NY and I would prefer to not be away from my family and the only schools I am considering are Rutgers, LIU and St. John's (if they accept transfers).

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks so much for your inputs!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, it's pretty ridiculous huh?! I would take the PCAT in October but I don't think I'm ready for it. =( I graduated with a BS degree in Biochem and am now deciding that I want to get my PharmD degree and not an MD degree. BIG CHANGE! I guess I'll just try emailing the school again and hope for a yes or a no.

Do you know why there are not many PharmD schools out there? Does anyone know if St. John's University is accepting transfer students for Fall 2008? I've tried calling the school but they're switching me back and forth betweent the admissions office and the pharmacy dept. OY!

Also, does it really matter where you go to obtain your Pharm.D degree? I'm in NY and I would prefer to not be away from my family and the only schools I am considering are Rutgers, LIU and St. John's (if they accept transfers).

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks so much for your inputs!

Unlike medical schools where school makes a difference in your options, most notably residency options, it doesn't matter where you go to get your PharmD in the U.S. Therefore, the issue is regarding the curricula and quality of education at each school where the gap between the theoretical #1 (if quality could ever be quantified) and the #50 isn't a gap you should worry about. You should be fine as long as you pick a school that knows what they are doing.

I do know that St. John's admission is very competitive and difficult since they are a 0+6 school that take few transfer students from outside the program.
 
Yes, it's pretty ridiculous huh?! I would take the PCAT in October but I don't think I'm ready for it. =( I graduated with a BS degree in Biochem and am now deciding that I want to get my PharmD degree and not an MD degree. BIG CHANGE! I guess I'll just try emailing the school again and hope for a yes or a no.

Do you know why there are not many PharmD schools out there? Does anyone know if St. John's University is accepting transfer students for Fall 2008? I've tried calling the school but they're switching me back and forth betweent the admissions office and the pharmacy dept. OY!

Also, does it really matter where you go to obtain your Pharm.D degree? I'm in NY and I would prefer to not be away from my family and the only schools I am considering are Rutgers, LIU and St. John's (if they accept transfers).

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks so much for your inputs!

I emailed St. John's a few months ago and was told they will not be accepting transfers for 08-09 and don't expect that to change in the future. So I had to cross them off my list. 🙁

FYI, Albany's not too too far from the city and they don't require or even accept PCAT scores... so if you have a great GPA, they might be an option for you.