Research and Publications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LateBl00meR

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was browsing a document from the National Residency Matching Program and noticed that the majority of US seniors matching into neuro surgery had 5 or more publications to their name. When does one find the time to complete all of this research? I should have prefaced this by saying that I'm a first year student with an internship for neuroimaging research this summer, of which I would be the first author of any publications - but still, that would leave me with just one paper in my name.

Any advice is much appreciated.
 
I was browsing a document from the National Residency Matching Program and noticed that the majority of US seniors matching into neuro surgery had 5 or more publications to their name. When does one find the time to complete all of this research? I should have prefaced this by saying that I'm a first year student with an internship for neuroimaging research this summer, of which I would be the first author of any publications - but still, that would leave me with just one paper in my name.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Publications in the NRMP report = publications, posters, and abstracts.

Say your summer research puts out a paper. You then submit those results as an abstract to a national conference, and maybe present a poster there. There, you just got three. Then during third year or a research elective you help a resident with a chart review study and put out a case report. There's your five publications.
 
Publications in the NRMP report = publications, posters, and abstracts.

Say your summer research puts out a paper. You then submit those results as an abstract to a national conference, and maybe present a poster there. There, you just got three. Then during third year or a research elective you help a resident with a chart review study and put out a case report. There's your five publications.

It's kind of funny honestly, according to the NRMP I have 8 publications as a 2nd year medical student. Only one of them is an actual paper, the rest of them are abstracts and posters (mostly based on that one paper!).

Also, I would beware the hope of publishing from one summer's research.