Research during gap year without publication.

Started by VCorp
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

VCorp

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I plan on taking a leave of absence between my 3rd and 4th year of med school to pursue an opportunity in research. I was thinking this morning, I'll finish my cores in October, and can do research from October to September 15th of next year, all while I'm doing my 4th year electives. However, I realized that there's no way I can get a research project done and published within a years time.

Does this seem as if it would be a waste of time? As in, would my chances of matching into a competitive program be the same, if I didn't have a publication & I didn't even do any type of research. I don't want to do a project that requires less time, just to get a publication out of it. Doing research is something I want to do down the road after becoming a full fledged physician. Thoughts?